cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unverified dishonest client

Duncan G Member Since: Mar 19, 2015
1 of 9

have got a client, though unverified is also dishonest. has gone offline since i requested some payments from him

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 9

It is so easy for clients to have their funds verified that many contractors will not do work for a client until funds are verified, because they suspect such a client is up to no good. There really is no compelling reason to start work until funds are verified, unless you simply like to do the work and do not care if you get paid or not.

Community Guru
Md Rahatur R Member Since: Apr 17, 2013
3 of 9

New freelancers have no choice. The try to start with the job that they get. Specially as oDesk has become so competitive. I guess oDesk should enforce at least verification of the payment method. The clients who is willing to get the job done will verify payment methods anyways.

Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
4 of 9

@Md. Rahatur R wrote:

New freelancers have no choice. The try to start with the job that they get. Specially as oDesk has become so competitive. I guess oDesk should enforce at least verification of the payment method. The clients who is willing to get the job done will verify payment methods anyways.

I disagree. It's very easy for a freelancer to politely remind the client to verify their payment method before starting to work. Freelancer's are not powerless. Not requiring clients to verify their payment method before posting a job is actually a good marketing tool, because it makes it very easy for the client to test out oDesk and see what kind of talent they can attract. Unless I misunderstood you and what you are proposing is to grey out the hire button until the client verified their payment method, which I would welcome. If I am not completely mistaken, it used to be like that. Not sure if or why it was changed.

Community Leader
John T Member Since: Mar 19, 2015
5 of 9

Hmm.

What's the positive reason for allowing someone to post jobs without a verified payment method, though? It seems like an obvious and simple requirement that would generally improve the marketplace overall.

Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
6 of 9

@John T wrote:

Hmm.

What's the positive reason for allowing someone to post jobs without a verified payment method, though? It seems like an obvious and simple requirement that would generally improve the marketplace overall.

I am of the type who wouldn't enter her credit card details until being ready to buy (in this case hire). A new client might not know what to expect, and if they'll go through with the hire, which amongst other things also depends on the quality of applicants, and might decide against giving oDesk a shot if they had to verify their payment method before seeing some candidates, and that would be a shame. I understand that from a freelancer perspective this is inconvenient, especially with the introduction of connects and other questionable features.

Community Guru
William H Member Since: Dec 2, 2013
7 of 9

But if a client doesn't need to input their payment info, why are they here? This is once again an example of freelancers having to carry the load, while clients are free to do what they want.

You don't see freelancers with incomplete profiles applying for jobs, but we have to live through postings of crap spam jobs every 20 minutes by clients with incomplete profiles (or non-existent ones)...(I'm not targeting all clients, just THOSE "clients"...).

Sure, I've built business relationships with new clients and been burned by established ones, but I'm of the opinion that both sides need to be treated EQUALLY by the Desk...

Community Leader
John T Member Since: Mar 19, 2015
8 of 9

Well, I can only comment on how it comes across from my side of the table. But the idea that someone's posting a job without actually being sure whether they're even up for the whole idea seems extremely off putting to me.

I've not been on here long, but I've not applied to anything with-out a verified payment method, and can't imagine I'm ever going to.

I wonder what the stats on this are? Like how many clients who dlay verifcation later turn into active clients. I'm not presuming anything; I've genuinely no ieda. I'd be curious to know.

But no, I don't want to be dealuing with people who are tentatively maybe sort of kind of having a look. I'm only interested in actual jobs that are available now and being hired for. I think that goes for all freelancers, really.

Ace Contributor
Nanang T Member Since: Nov 22, 2014
9 of 9

A couple days ago, I declined an offer from the non-verified client. Though I'm not one of the high hourly rates, but I have my own standard in picking up a job on oDesk. One of them is that the client must have the payment method verified. This way I can work at ease without afraid not to be paid.

It doesn't mean that I am not willing to work with a new client. I don't mind to work with, as long as they were verified. In my opinion, by verifying their payment method, they prove themselves as serious clients.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS