Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

upwork payment guarantee - a nice joke

juvy_ann-palma
Community Guru
Juvy Ann P Member Since: Oct 29, 2015
21 of 34

I think I experienced this before with one client.  After I got paid for my first milestone, "her" account encountered problems and "she" barely said a word about it.  Then came another potential client whose name rhymed with my original client's.  "She" was asking me about my work, presumably to engage me on the same work that I did with my former client.  The offer for the project was tempting.  When my original client came online, I asked her about it and she said nothing.  So I respected her silence and since I did not receive any confirmation that that was her account (I'm referring to the "second" client) I did not enter into a new contract with the second one.  I got full payment for the work.  I was not harmed in any way except that I lost the chance to work with the second client up to this day.

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
22 of 34

Hi Sunaram,

I'm sorry about the outcome of your contract with this client. I see our agent already advised you regarding your payment on your open ticket. Please continue the conversation with our team through your main ticket and refer to article 6.4 of the User Agreement and section 6.2 and 6.6 of the Hourly, Bonus, and Expense Payment Agreement with Escrow Instructions for more information. I understand your frustration but unfortunately we won't be able to discuss the details of the issue in the Community.

Untitled
novikovma
Ace Contributor
Mikhail N Member Since: Jul 18, 2015
23 of 34

That's an interesting story. So freelancer was made responsible for his client's fraud?

patir
Ace Contributor
sunaram p Member Since: Sep 6, 2015
24 of 34

@Mikhail N wrote:

That's an interesting story. So freelancer was made responsible for his client's fraud?

Yeah, but don't tell anyone. Upwork seems like they don't want anyone to know about it! Man Tongue

novikovma
Ace Contributor
Mikhail N Member Since: Jul 18, 2015
25 of 34

In my working history on Upwork/oDesk, i had multiple situations when i worked with sneaky and probably intentionally fraudlent clients, so payment guarantee has invoked multiple times for me. I was always paid in full. So i tend to trust the system (having said that, i barely work hourly now anyway)

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
26 of 34

@Mikhail N wrote:

Seems unlikely, what with the frequent reports of Upwork honoring payment protection when client payment methods failed. 

More likely, there was some aspect of the requirements not met and the freelancer either doesn't understand or disagrees.

patir
Ace Contributor
27 of 34

@Tiffany S wrote:

@Mikhail N wrote:

Seems unlikely, what with the frequent reports of Upwork honoring payment protection when client payment methods failed. 

More likely, there was some aspect of the requirements not met and the freelancer either doesn't understand or disagrees.

Look at the reply from customer service below **Edited for Community Guidelines**

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
28 of 34

Hi Sunaram,

Please, refrain from sharing personal communication and details about your case in the public Community. I encourage you to refer to Vladimir's post earlier on this thread.

Thank you.

~ Valeria
Upwork
sam-sly
Community Guru
Samantha S Member Since: Jun 23, 2016
29 of 34

I've seen other freelancers report that they weren't paid when they did everything right (as far as they said), but the client was fraudulent (i.e. using a stolen credit card, etc.).

I guess the takeaway lesson from the OP's post is to pay attention to Upwork's warning when there is an issue with a contract. I think the OP's mistake was to work with this "client" on another contract. Upwork staff can't/won't tell us the problem. It might be something as minor as an expired card or it might be the client wasn't authorized to use someone else's card. The method may have verified at first, until; the real owner of the card saw charges. 

It sounds like Upwork did advise the OP to stop working with that client until further notice. When the issue is an expired card, the client fixes it and you can continue on the same contract. It sounds like it was something more serious in this case.  

patir
Ace Contributor
30 of 34

@Samantha S wrote:

I've seen other freelancers report that they weren't paid when they did everything right (as far as they said), but the client was fraudulent (i.e. using a stolen credit card, etc.).

I guess the takeaway lesson from the OP's post is to pay attention to Upwork's warning when there is an issue with a contract. I think the OP's mistake was to work with this "client" on another contract. Upwork staff can't/won't tell us the problem. It might be something as minor as an expired card or it might be the client wasn't authorized to use someone else's card. The method may have verified at first, until; the real owner of the card saw charges. 

It sounds like Upwork did advise the OP to stop working with that client until further notice. When the issue is an expired card, the client fixes it and you can continue on the same contract. It sounds like it was something more serious in this case.  

I just assumed that the client is really having some issues with her id proof. So, I went ahead and tried to continue with her "colleague" which was supposed to be from the company "**Edited for Community Guidelines**"! Upwork should have verified about the company "**Edited for Community Guidelines**" which is supposed to be a huge tech blog. I wonder what their "activity monitoring" was doing at that time.

And I really hate the fact that they try to hide too many things from us. I didn't see anything objetctionable in sharing the CS reply. People here keeps passing on their judgments just because we can't show the truth here. It is extremely annoying.

I really hate my life choices now. There are alternatives to upwork, but I am not good enough for the better ones. Just stuck here for the foreseable future!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS