🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » A freelancer profile and an agency profile
Page options
6c28c56f
Community Member

A freelancer profile and an agency profile

Hi,

I am new here and I have created both a freelancer profile and an agency profile as I was prompted to do so while creating my account.

Now my queries are:
1. What is the difference in benefits of both the profiles?
2. Currently, I am the only member of the agency? Do I need it in the beginning if I have to do all the work myself?
3. Do I need to buy connects in both cases?
4. My freelancer's profile shows 50 free connects but it also displays the message that I can only view. If I cannot use them what is the purpose of free connects?

6c28c56f_0-1639551216858.png

I just want to get started first on Upwork. I can build a team later if I get more work.

Request you to help me.

Thank you
- Hari

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Hari,

Yes you will be able to use them. But, please keep in mind that freelancer and agency profiles are different profiles. Under your freelancer profile, you're allowed to work only as an independent freelancer. If you would like to work as a team or represent a company, you can do this only under your agency profile. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Nobody prompts you to open an agency.

You probably assigned yourself to be an exclusive member, meaning you can't use your free connects from your freelancer account, you can only use agency connects. 

It makes no sense to have an agency with only one member, in fact, it is not allowed. 

Thank you for the response, Martina.

If I close the agency profile and keep only the freelancer, will I be able to use free connects?

How much do I have to spend to connect as a freelancer then?

Thank you

- Hari

Hi Hari,

Since you're an exclusive member of your agency you can only work under the agency and use the Connects of the agency pool. To learn more about exclusive and non exclusive members check out this help article

You can close the agency profile at any time, and you will be able use the Connects under your freelancer profile and work as an independent freelancer as well. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

I am new here and I have created both a freelancer profile and an agency profile as I was prompted to do so while creating my account.

My freelancer's profile shows 50 free connect but it also displays the message that I can only view. If I cannot use them what is the purpose of free connect?

Does closing the agency profile help? Can the agency be closed temporarily?

6c28c56f_0-1639638169362.png

6c28c56f
Community Member

Hi Goran,

Can I use my free connect as a freelancer if I become a non-exclusive member of my agency?

Hi Hari,

Yes you will be able to use them. But, please keep in mind that freelancer and agency profiles are different profiles. Under your freelancer profile, you're allowed to work only as an independent freelancer. If you would like to work as a team or represent a company, you can do this only under your agency profile. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Thank you, Goran for solving my problem. Wish you all the best.

41fbf7fa
Community Member

Hello, 

I have a personal freelancer profile and I am interested in also creating an agency profile for a company. I have some open contracts on my personal profile and would like to keep them for the personal account. I would like to separate personal and agency - Is it possible to have contracts on my personal freelancer profile and parallel on the agency profile other contracts? 

Hi Stephanie,

Yes, it's perfectly fine to have contracts both on your freelancer profile as well as your agency profile. Once you've created an agency profile, you may purchase Connects and start submitting proposals as an agency.

Please also see this list of help articles to learn more about managing an agency on Upwork.

~ AJ
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths