🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Am I off to a Good Start?
Page options
christenjamsa
Community Member

Am I off to a Good Start?

Hello Upwork Community,

I recently joined Upwork as a freelance writer about 3 weeks ago. I have completed two contracts and just booked my third contract. Am I off to a good start or should I have booked more than 3 jobs in my first 3 weeks? Thank you!

3 REPLIES 3
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Good start? I think you're off to a great start, Christen! (I remember before when I first started freelancing, it took me quite some time before I landed my first contract, so kudos to you!)

Since you are new to Upwork, I highly recommend that you read up on the freelancer resources we have compiled, for great tips and insights on how you can work successfully on the platform. Please don’t forget to read the Safety First! section of the resources, and these tips for avoiding questionable jobs for more information about working safely through Upwork.

You may also check out the Writers & Translators Community board to stay in touch with other freelancers who are in the same job category. 

I hope you continue being successful on your freelancing business, Christen! Welcome to Upwork, and the Upwork Community!

~ Avery
Upwork

Good evening Avery,

Thanks so much for your encouragement and kind words! 🙂 I attended the webinar before I started sending proposals and, oh my gosh, it helped me tremeoudsly! I am doing everything the speaker told me to do in the webinar, ha ha! 🙂 I booked my first contract the first day I started my profile about 2 hours after the webinar. I want to thank Upwork for preparing me for my journey into my freelancing career. It's been a blast so far 🙂 

Christen J wrote:

Good evening Avery,

Thanks so much for your encouragement and kind words! 🙂 I attended the webinar before I started sending proposals and, oh my gosh, it helped me tremeoudsly! I am doing everything the speaker told me to do in the webinar, ha ha! 🙂 I booked my first contract the first day I started my profile about 2 hours after the webinar. I want to thank Upwork for preparing me for my journey into my freelancing career. It's been a blast so far 🙂 

Further to what Avery wrote, do be carefully not to undervalue your work. Hard as it is to get going on the site, you need to make an effort to get away from the "write a book and design the cover for peanuts" contracts and clients as soon as humanly possible.

It's a thankless part of the market and you encounter the worst types of clients there. (The ones who nearly have a heart attack when I tell them what I charge to translate their stuff and stutter, "But that's 4 x what I paid to have it written!")

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths