cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clients who deflect to their own clients for feedback on my work before releasing funds to me

Highlighted
Sarah G Member Since: Apr 19, 2017
1 of 10

Hi all,

I'm fairly new to upwork but am getting lots of bites.  I find some of my clients are operating like this - ignoring the fact that I've sent through my completed work and also ignoring my follow up messages asking for their feedback.  When they finally respond to me they say they are waiting on feedback from "The Client" (THEIR client) before approving the milestone or releasing the funds.

I find this unfair as this is not what is agreed on. My client is the person who hired me on Upwork, right? So that's the only person I'm interested in getting feedback from. None of my contracts have stipulated that the payment will be dependant on a third party's approval of my work.

Have I got things wrong here? Or do I need to specifiy in my contracts so this doesn't keep happening?

Thanks for your answers!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Kat C Member Since: Jul 11, 2016
2 of 10

@sarah G wrote:

Hi all,

I'm fairly new to upwork but am getting lots of bites.  I find some of my clients are operating like this - ignoring the fact that I've sent through my completed work and also ignoring my follow up messages asking for their feedback.  When they finally respond to me they say they are waiting on feedback from "The Client" (THEIR client) before approving the milestone or releasing the funds.

I find this unfair as this is not what is agreed on. My client is the person who hired me on Upwork, right? So that's the only person I'm interested in getting feedback from. None of my contracts have stipulated that the payment will be dependant on a third party's approval of my work.

Have I got things wrong here? Or do I need to specifiy in my contracts so this doesn't keep happening?

Thanks for your answers!

That's why I ask if they are my end client or if there is a third party involved.

Very rarely has it worked out positively for me when there is a third party because the ::::bleep::::: tends to roll down hill (I have one client who has been a thankful exception).

Other FLs on the platform may have a different experience and are more likely to provide you with the positives of similar scenarios. 

Whether or not we think it's fair, they have a client to please. So, while I agree that since I'm contracting with my client and their feedback is all that matters to me, they're answering to someone else and that will factor into their perception (and possibly their Upwork public and private feedback) of you.

Such is the reason I focus on making sure the details of the contract between me and my client are specific. But, there's still no assurance that if their client doesn't like the work, they won't turn around and reflect that disfavor through your contract. 

Highlighted
3 of 10

Thanks Kat.  I really appreciate you taking the time. I'm on a huge learning curve here.  Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
4 of 10

I do a lot of work for agencies, through Upwork and in the B&M world. It is not at all uncommon for an agency client to have to wait for approval from its client before approving content, and I see nothing unreasonable about it. If the ultimate client requires approval before the agency can post a blog post or distribute a press release or whatever, why would the agency say "Great--we don't need any revisions!" before finding that out?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Wassim T Member Since: May 29, 2015
5 of 10

Sarah, 

Welcome to the community. Let me first tell you that you have a stunning voice. What you probably don't know is that you share this skill with Kat, yet she operates under a different category.

Beside the advice she gave you, I believe the price for the couple of gigs under your profile are way too low. You will need to chase the bigger clients. I know that you may be thinking that in order to grow big on a site like Upwork you'll need to start small and grow as you go, however, the clients who pay the least amount of money are usually the ones who will leave you in pain. Those who pay hire rates are often more understandable and appreciate skills, so they will do whatever it takes to keep you happy if they found the talent they need in you, this includes the possibility to pay you faster even when they're awaiting to hear from their own clients.

If you find the right clients, they will often send you the money, and after hearing from their clients they usually ask you in a nice manner to take care of the feedback for some bonus in return for your extra efforts. That's how great clients act like and I can guarantee that this type of clients exist on Upwork and aren't that hard to find. 

Hope this helps, and glad that you made your way to the first few gigs. Keep to it and sooner than later you'll be in a decent place. This won't be too hard for someone with your skills. 

Best regards, 

Wassim 

Highlighted
6 of 10

Thank you Wassim.  It's all so new to me.  I am still learning.  I appreciate your advice! Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
7 of 10

@sarah G wrote:
I find some of my clients are operating like this - ignoring the fact that I've sent through my completed work and also ignoring my follow up messages asking for their feedback.  When they finally respond to me they say they are waiting on feedback from "The Client" (THEIR client) before approving the milestone or releasing the funds.

I find this unfair as this is not what is agreed on.

Apart from the very valid points made by the others, what is actually agreed on is that once you submit the work using the "Submit work and request payment" button the client (which is indeed the person who hired you) has 14 days to review your work.

Once the 14 days are over the funds are automatically released to you. (provided you used the "Submit work and request payment" button.

I never chase clients for feedback or to release funds. I submit the work with a note saying "let me know if you have any questions" and get on with my life.

The vast majority of my clients release the funds within 24 hours.

Those who make me wait beyond a few days simply go on my "Won't work with again!" list.

Highlighted
8 of 10

Thank you Petra!  I hadn't picked up on this point yet.  Note to self, read the Ts & Cs.  Ah, still so much for me to learn! Cheers for this info and for taking the time to help me. Smiley Wink

Highlighted
Community Guru
Pat M Member Since: Jun 18, 2016
9 of 10

Sarah, welcome to Upwork!  Woman Happy  I just wanted to share that the ones who've assisted you here are definitely among some of the very best on this platform.  You probably were able to discern that.  I also wanted to comment regarding your refreshing manner of asking questions and responding.  You were nice and appreciative.  Unfortunately not all new, or tenured for that matter, Freelancers mirror that behavior.  Frankly, some even seem to expect; sometimes demand, responses and/or are quite rude.  That's poor.  However, since many of us that do post/respond within this Community are Freelancers on the platform and are not paid Upwork employees/freelancers that type of negative attitude is even more sad.  Many kudos to you, Sarah, and the very best of luck! 

Highlighted
10 of 10

Thank you Pat. I'm so appreciative of everyone who's taken the time to help me. It's given me a completely different perspective and I've learnt so much just from asking this one question. What a great community!