🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » DIRECT BANK TRANSFER FOR TASK PAYMENT
Page options
karen_pahang
Community Member

DIRECT BANK TRANSFER FOR TASK PAYMENT

I hope anybody can answer my query. I completed a task and my client told me that their payment cant go through  because I have to pay first for linking my account or something. Just want to ask if this is a SCAM? Please see below msg from my client to see if its really a scam.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Do I really have to pay this linking process? They didnt tell me in the first place that there are process like this. They just asked me my bank details.

Hope to hear feedback from the group. Thank you so much!

4 REPLIES 4
erinvega2016
Community Member

You should NEVER have to pay to do work. This was a scam and should be flagged. You will not be getting paid for this work.

My recommendation is prior to you submitting anymore proposals is that you jump on over to the Academy tab and find out how the Upwork platform works. Then read up on the terms of service. There are also some great write ups on scams and how to spot them etc. 

NikolaS

Hi Karen,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I would like to clarify that a real client will never ask you to give them money to start working, cash a check for them, work for free, or provide your personal information. I encourage you to let us know if a TOS violation has happened by using the Flag as Inappropriate option throughout the platform. You can learn more about user reporting hereFeel free to also check this page to help you stay safe on Upwork.

~ Nikola
Upwork
9e932a78
Community Member

Same happened with me today only . The client ask me to contact on telegram as a new user I did not know this that it is against policy at the time of payment he asked me to pay 75 dollars for Linking account and 180 dollars for conversion of USD to INR by saying that the bank is not accepting international payment and even I paid also . What should I do now . 

**Edited for community guidelines**

Hi Komal,

I checked your account and saw that you have submitted a support ticket to our team already. I'd also like to remind you that communication outside of Upwork without an active contract is against Upwork TOS. You are also not required to submit any payment to be able to start working. I encourage you to please check out this course for tips on staying safe and protected while working on Upwork. Also, please check this article for more information on how to use the flag option to report any inappropriate content.

~ Joanne
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths