darleneg

DISPUTE INQUIRY

NO PAYMENT AND CLIENT IS NO LONGER RESPONDING 

I would like to ask how to apply dispute against **Edited for Community Guidelines** who hired me last November, 2016 and apparently, he is not replying right now after asking for the payment.

Can you help me filing a dispute settlement on this?

Thanks

13 REPLIES 13
versailles

Sure, go to My Jobs, select the contract in question and work your way from there.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

Unfortunately, I had not secured a contract. Is there is still a way for me to file a dispute or no other options?

@Darlene G wrote:

Unfortunately, I had not secured a contract. Is there is still a way for me to file a dispute or no other options?

You worked outside of Upwork with a client found on Upwork. This has nothing to do with Upwork anymore and there is nothing that Upwork can do for you.

EDIT: and please remove the client's name/fake name, it is totally irrelevant.

-----------

Darlene:

Whenever I do work on Upwork, if the client stops responding, I get paid automatically.

That is how it works for all of us if we use Upwork properly.

You don't need to file a dispute. You need to figure out what you did wrong.

Was this a fixed-price or hourly contract? Do you see the job/contract listed on our "My Jobs" tab?

re: "Unfortunately, I had not secured a contract. Is there is still a way for me to file a dispute or no other options?"

There is no way for you to file a dispute.

On the plus side: All the work you did (for which you were not paid) belongs to you. I suggest you post it as a portfolio item on your profile page.

The client's name you specified is a fake name. That is not the real name of the scammer who tricked you into working for free. And it is a violation of Community Forum guidelines to post names like that. Upwork will censor your use of the name.

re: "Unfortunately, I had not secured a contract. Is there is still a way for me to file a dispute or no other options?"

You will not be paid for the work you did. You did not have a contract.

This is a good thing. This demonstrates that Upwork is working properly, as the system was designed to work.

You have no option to get paid for that work. But you gain something better than payment: knowledge and experience.

You will never again work without a contract. You will succeed in the future.

But your future success can ONLY begin if you let this past project go, forget about it, and do not try to get paid for it.

Nah! It appears to have no jobs and no contracts when I tried to click on that links, supposed to be an hourly rate as what we had agreed upon.

lysis10

Somebody fell for the ol' sample scam.

15M freelancers. Among them some fall for this all the time. Those scammers are running a profitable business 🙂

-----------

Unfortunately it is. 

Thanks guys for a quick and comprehensive feedback.

I hope this incident could help new freelancers to avoid the same as what I had.

@Darlene G wrote:

I hope this incident could help new freelancers to avoid the same as what I had.

It will not. Only reading the manual before using the product will help people to avoid harm. It's true for a dishwasher and it's true also for Upwork.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

-----------

Reading is p hard. There's like words and a lot of them. Not hard like dat percentage math I tell you what.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Darlene,

As others pointed out dispute assistance is not available without an actual contract on Upwork. Always make sure the client sends you an offer, you accepted and see a contract under My Jobs with a verified payment method before you start working. All payments need to go through Upwork as well.

Please, review resources linked in this post to learn more about how Upwork works.

~ Valeria
Upwork