cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FAKE CLIENT + newbie

Highlighted
Divine Claire S Member Since: Nov 27, 2016
1 of 13

Hello everyone! This is my first community post here in Upwork. I am a newbie to freelancing and have been a member in Upwork since October. Its been almost 2 months but still I haven't had a job though I had received a bunch of invitation to interview from some clients. Anyway, there's this "new" client that I had submitted a proposal to his job posting asking for "convert pdf to excel" format blah blah blah. After 10 days, the client "liked" my proposal and said I am "now part of his team" and messaged me instructions on what to do. Now the thing is what he instructed me to do is not what he said in his job post. In his message, he said I have to download a certain software that would keep track on my work entries. What the job turned out to be is that, I have to enter captchas shown in that software I had downloaded and after reaching 5000 entries, I have to email him and say I have done the "quota" and he asked me which payment method do I like and 'some' of the payment methods are outside Upwork. To show him I am very much interested in working ASAP, I did what he asked BUT I only did 8 entries, took a screenshot of the software that also showed the 8 entries I had done, then messaged him saying I am looking forward to officially working with him. I said that I sent him that screenshot as proof that I did the work but I won't do it ALL unless he turn the "Active Candidacy" into an Official Upwork Job. What he did in response to my proof of work is he declined the active job candidacy. I was enraged but I, somewhat, see this coming based from the "shadiness" of his instructions. I am writing this post to vent my frustrations of being a newbie, who are always targeted by these kind of clients here in Upwork. This is also to inform other freelancers like me who haven't had a job in here and are still on the hunt. Be wary and yes, we are desperate but never forget to keep a cautious head on your shoulders and its better to be "jobless" than be duped and work without pay. Haha, not funny.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
BEST ANSWER
2 of 13

1) You should NEVER do work without having a job in your "My Jobs" where the client's payment method is verified and escrow is funded (if it's a fixed price job)

2) CAPTCHA jobs are against the ToS

3) If you installed software from this client you should do a virus scan immediately, it's probably not legit

You can see a great list of tips and warning signs about dodgy jobs in this thread: Tips to Avoid Questionable Jobs. The post was written by Lena, an Upwork community moderator.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
3 of 13
  • captcha entry jobs are strictly forbidden on Upwork
  • every captcha you entered caused someone to be spammed
  • NEVER download random software on your computer. I hope you have  VERY good anti-virus and anti-spyware software installed, or your system is now likely crawling with malware.
  • you need to improve your profile. The way it is at the moment it's a scammer magnet
Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
4 of 13

Hi Divine Claire,

I checked and it looks like the job you are referring to has already been closed as inappropriate. Please, stop communicating with this client further. Please, refer to advice Petra and Jennifer shared in order to avoid such situations in the future.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Divine Claire S Member Since: Nov 27, 2016
5 of 13

Thank you for the advice. I had found a new job post of the same nature, that is, entering captchas. This time it is from a verified client. 

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
6 of 13

Thanks, Divine Claire. I'll follow up with the team regarding that job as well. Feel free to use the flag button if you come across job posts with violations.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Susan P Member Since: Dec 27, 2016
7 of 13

I recently had two fake clients that wanted to communicate outside of upworks and i investigated and found out one of the companies don't exist an the ohe company exist but i caled the actual company to see if this person was legitimate an they were not an it i told them what i found out and it scared them off. I never exchanged vital information with them becaus I remember that upworks is suppose to be a afe place ton receive messages and get payment. How do you stop these fake clients employers from praying on us?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
8 of 13

@Susan P wrote:

I recently had two fake clients that wanted to communicate outside of upworks and i investigated and found out one of the companies don't exist an the ohe company exist but i caled the actual company to see if this person was legitimate an they were not an it i told them what i found out and it scared them off. I never exchanged vital information with them becaus I remember that upworks is suppose to be a afe place ton receive messages and get payment. How do you stop these fake clients employers from praying on us?

Upwork can't stop the spammers and fake clients because they just create another account under another fake email and go at it again.  Upwork can only ban the current account, but they will just make another one.

TBH the only way to really slow them down would be if freshers would read ToS and help articles before jumping in and they would know the scams right away. As long as contractors keep falling for them, they will keep coming.  The good news is when you get a few jobs under your belt the spam invites seem to slow down, they do not stop however becasue I received one of the check scam invites the other day. UGGH

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
9 of 13

captcha scammer always uses the convert pdf to word or whatever. It's his goto project title.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
10 of 13

@Susan P wrote:

Susan read this (in the greyed-out area at the top of "New to Upwork") to start with, which was compiled by Vladimir one of Upwork's moderators. (Don't be deceived by his mournful pic. He has quite a sense of humour - sometimes)

https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Getting-Started-on-Upwork/m-p/264214#U264214

and included in it, this post written by Lena, another of our moderators: Tips to Avoid Questionable Jobs

And with this answer, I add a plea to Upwork to change the dreary, unreadable title of "Getting Started on Upwork" to something that will GRAB the attention of a new freelancer - please, pretty, pretty please . . .