🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Getting paid in Italy, should I put directly ...
Page options
frika
Community Member

Getting paid in Italy, should I put directly my IBAN?

Hi all,

I am starting to work on my first project and it's my first time as a freelancer.

I am concerned about putting my IBAN on the platform, since I've read about (even if rare) scams  happened using it. I dont' understand how is that possibile, anyway I ask you as for sure there will be a more expert professional knowing how to deal with this practical details.

I have read there's Transferwise to receive and make international payments. It also change your currency from dollars into euros. I have read bad things about this solution too (blocked bank accounts).

Could someone ( Iam asking especially to Italian professionals) give me information about it?

Thank you,

Federica

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Federica F wrote:

I am starting to work on my first project and it's my first time as a freelancer.

I am concerned about putting my IBAN on the platform, since I've read about (even if rare) scams  happened using it.

You have? Where? About Upwork?

Personally I do not use direct to local bank any longer because the exchange rate used by Upwork's banking partners is shockingly bad and it takes days.

I use my PayPal (which then allows me to transfer to my bank account) or my US virtual bank account or Payoneer.  

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
petra_r
Community Member

Federica F wrote:

I am concerned about putting my IBAN on the platform, since I've read about (even if rare) scams  happened using it.

You have? Where? About Upwork?

Personally I do not use direct to local bank any longer because the exchange rate used by Upwork's banking partners is shockingly bad and it takes days.

I use my PayPal (which then allows me to transfer to my bank account) or my US virtual bank account or Payoneer.  

Not sure where you are at, but PayPal costs (2 USD versus 0.99 USD for direct transfer) plus PayPal exchange rates are more expensive than UpWork direct transfer for me.

tranluu
Community Member

Hello Federica,

I am new to Upwork and payment in Italy as well. I would like to ask if you had answer for your questions which I have the same now. Could you please share your experience with me?

Thanks a lot.

Luu T

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths