🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Getting paid
Page options
nikkia20
Community Member

Getting paid

I got a contract but me and the clients conversation was on an external chat room. Now I am approved for payment but they are asking for me deposit a certain amount of money into my bank account in order for me to receive the payment through direct banking. What should i do?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
luqman_mak
Community Member

Dont pay your clients for anything - that one there is a very common scam, read about it here
https://community.upwork.com/t5/Community-Blog/Top-Red-Flags-for-Scams-From-Community-Member-Wes-C/b...
There is much to say but ^ that bit there is the most important for now

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
luqman_mak
Community Member

Dont pay your clients for anything - that one there is a very common scam, read about it here
https://community.upwork.com/t5/Community-Blog/Top-Red-Flags-for-Scams-From-Community-Member-Wes-C/b...
There is much to say but ^ that bit there is the most important for now

luqman_mak
Community Member

Okay, now that THAT is out there.. Among the rules to working safetly on Upwork (UW) is not to communicate with clients who try to get you off the platform before giving you a contract on UW. The contract is not just them saying 'you are hired' but they inititate an offer on UW and it is sent to you, you see it on your notifications, see terms and then get to accept it. Once you do that it displays on you 'my jobs' page as an active contract - and then you begin work as well as feeling free to communicate with your client on any interface - because they already made the commitment to you.
Any client that - puts their contact info on a job post,asks for money, for you to buy things, for you to click things online, for you to do shady things, - is probably a scam.
There are also jobs that are not allowed by the ToS as well as rules to follow. So, make sure you read the ToS early on to better understand how things like 'payment protection' actually works.

I do appreciate thisbit as really helped and opened my eyes to some things i have not know about.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths