🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Hello Client? Are you There?
Page options
437a4199
Community Member

Hello Client? Are you There?

Good afternoon,

I have a client who asked me if I would complete the work by the deadline and I said "of course." I completed it and sent my first draft. He asked if I could send it as a word doc; I did so immediately. He said thank you for the first piece. A couple of days later I sent him a message asking if he needed anything, edits, whatever...no response. I usually send a draft before I submit for payment, edit, and then submit when it is done. He didn't answer so I submitted it for payment and sent a message saying, let me know if you need anything. Looking forward to hearing back. Nothing. I have only had one client who basically barely used my content and paid me anyway because she did not say anything. Point is, he is not answering and it has been a little over 2 weeks since the deadline. I want him to pay me for the draft, but he is not responding.

What should I do? 

3 REPLIES 3
NikolaS

Hi Meredith,

If you are working with a client and they become unresponsive for a long period of time, it may be best to stop working on the project and wait for contact from the client.

On a fixed-price contract, ending the contract forfeits any funds remaining in escrow. Instead, it is often best to complete your last milestone before you end the contract. If your client fails to respond to your submission, funds will be automatically released after 14 days. If they respond but refuse the work and you believe you have completed the work according to the agreed terms, you have the option to file a dispute.

You can find more information in this help article

~ Nikola
Upwork
wescowley
Community Member

Meredith C wrote:

ing. Point is, he is not answering and it has been a little over 2 weeks since the deadline. I want him to pay me for the draft, but he is not responding.

What should I do? 

If this is a fixed price contract and you haven't clicked the "submit work" button on the contract page, do that now. You should do that when you hand in the draft. If the client never responds, the money is released from escrow two weeks later regardless. 

sjbercot
Community Member

I usually send a draft before I submit for payment, edit, and then submit when it is done. He didn't answer so I submitted it for payment and sent a message saying, let me know if you need anything. Looking forward to hearing back. Nothing. I have only had one client who basically barely used my content and paid me anyway because she did not say anything. Point is, he is not answering and it has been a little over 2 weeks since the deadline.

If you submitted it correctly by clicking the Submit for payment button, you should be automatically paid after 2 weeks. Are you sure the funds haven't been released? 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths