Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with Fixed Price Payment!

akanoje
Anita K Member Since: Dec 23, 2016
1 of 6

Hello!

I am fairly new to Upwork (about 6 months) and I recently signed on a fixed price contract. This client is also new to the platform and does not have any reviews and has not spent any money yet.

I set the milestones for the project, and delivered it as per the client's communication. After remaining silent for a few days, the client cancelled the contract abruptly with no prior comversation and when questioned, said that the work "did not meet expected standards". They offered no explanations or details about how exactly the delivered work did not meet their expectations. I understand that such a feedback is subjective, so I am unsure of whether I am being cheated or not? I invested time into research for my deliverable and would like to paid for it at least.

Any thoughts on how to handle this? Should I dispute this or let it go? Is recieving perfectly acceptable work but cancelling the contract citing a vague reason like this, something that happens on Upwork? I am very confused. 

Thanks,

Anita. 

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
2 of 6

Unless the amount agreed for the milestones was funded into escrow, you are not protected by Upwork, and you are  unlikely to get paid. If the milestone was funded, then unless your client asks for a refund, Upwork will release the funds to you after 14 days. If the client asks for a refund, you can dispute it, in which case, you must follow all the steps that customer support tells you to take.

martinceisel
Community Leader
Martin C Member Since: Feb 24, 2017
3 of 6

@Nichola L wrote:

Unless the amount agreed for the milestones was funded into escrow, you are not protected by Upwork, and you are  unlikely to get paid. If the milestone was funded then, unless your client asks for a refund, Upwork will release the funds to you after 14 days. If the client asks for a refund, you can dispute it, in which case, you must follow all the steps that customer support tells you to take.

Bingo. 

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 6

As a freelancer, I have no interest in working for a client who doesn't appreciate my work.

The work I do is very high-end, very high-quality. I would always prefer to keep it for myself and feature it in my porfolio if a client doesn't want to pay for it.

So for me, it's very simple. I submit the finished fixed-price milestone. A client can pay for it and own it. Or not pay for it and I retain ownership.

akanoje
Anita K Member Since: Dec 23, 2016
5 of 6

The agreed amount for the milestone was funded into escrow. The client has asked for a refund, and they already have the finished work for that milestone. If I do dispute it, how does it work? Is it is a lengthy process and do I lose more than just time on it? 

aocumen
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
6 of 6

Hi Anita, 

I'm sorry that this contract with this client didn't work out as expected. You can file an escrow dispute for the funds in Escrow so that you and your client can come to an amicable arrangement. Escrowed funds won't be released back to the client unless you approve their return or undergo dispute mediation.

~ Avery
Upwork