🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Help
Page options
acad95b9
Community Member

Help

Good morning, my name is Alan Marius Absalonsen, freelancer, just arrived in this new world that is Upwork, I followed the guidelines until now and everything was normal, suddenly there was a change in events and I lost track of the situation; because I got the following message

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

And I have no idea how to proceed, so I turn to you if you can guide me on how to proceed, what to do if you identify and contact the client to start a negotiation process, things were very fast and it surprised me so if you can guide I will be grateful.

6 REPLIES 6
3476f756
Community Member

Hey Alan. 

Welcome to the world of Upwork. 

Feel lucky that you posted here for help. The message that you got is clearly from a Scammer. 

Here is how you can identify :

1. Scammer usually ask seller to contact them outside of upwork (which is also against Upworks TOS)

2. They ask you for payments before they can give you the job so eventually you will end up paying them instead of getting paid. 

3. They offer handsome amount of money for a very easy work which atttacts new sellers.

Kindly ignore this message or flag him on Upwork.

But if you someday get a legit query or message from a honest buyer, you should start with 

1. Discuss the project only in detail    2. Explain him your process of work (steps you follow to get the desired result)      3. Ask him why the amount isnt fair and how much time the job may take.    4. Once he agrees, you he will send you an offer and you can accept it. You will bee notified when you receive the offer.

If you have any question, feel free to ask me. 

Good luck. 🙂

MAN, these scams just keep on comin', huh?  The first 2 jobs I applied for on here were scams.  It has given me a very negative perception of Upwork so far that I'm not sure if I even want to continue.  At this point, being desperate for work and money, I'm ready to craft a totally fictitious resume and give friends as references.  People lie all the time, and nowhere is this more true than in the USA.  I'm finding that you absolutely MUST lie in order to get your foot in the door anywhere  **Edited for Community Guidelines**  Let's just get the cold hard truth out there in full public view.

Hi Paul,

Thank you for your message. I am sorry to hear about your experience with the client. I checked the jobs you are referring to and reported them to the relevant team to investigate this further. 

Please check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs and please use the flag option found on each job post or message anytime you’d like to report a violation.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork
pgiambalvo
Community Member

It was a scam.

Thanks friends, the procedure was initially strange, but I was in doubt, so I asked for help, thanks again

renata101
Community Member

Hi Alan,

This is a good article to read before you do anything else:
https://community.upwork.com/t5/Community-Blog/Top-Red-Flags-for-Scams-From-Community-Member-Wes-C/b...

Also, before you start accepting contracts, you should read the Upwork Legal pages, especially the Terms of Use. That will tell you what you can and can't do on Upwork, along with what clients can and can't do. This will save you a lot of time.

You should also familiarize yourself with the two types of contracts fixed-price and hourly. If you do a Google search you should be able to find Upwork's help articles about those.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths