cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to finish a job when it hasn't been open?

Highlighted
Tommera K Member Since: Nov 22, 2016
1 of 13

I recently did work for a client. I am finished and want to log my hours so we can close the job. . The job was never opened. Being new I told them I could log my hours on my own until they opened the job. Now I am finished.  I asked if they could open the job and they don't know how. They said the last freelancer did everything and they got an invoice and paid it. I have no idea how to proceed. I can't find anything on my end that can be done. I'd like to make this as easy as possible for the client but I am at a loss with all the basic help center questions.  

Highlighted
Community Leader
Attiq A Member Since: Oct 29, 2016
2 of 13

How did you start the contract while it was never open?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
3 of 13

Let's be clear: When you go to your Reports Page - there is no contract with that client? They never sent you a job offer to accept? Is their payment method even verified?

NEVER lift a finger without having a contract.

Cardinal rule. No contract - no work - no handing over anything.

Without a contract the client could not pay you even if they wanted to.

Make sure you do NOT hand the work over until the contract has been opened and funded as (now) a fixed rate contract as your "self tracked" hours are completely meaningless.

I think it would be wise for you to familiarise yourself with the basics before continuing to apply for jobs, as you'll only get scammed this way.

Highlighted
4 of 13

I have not sent any completed work to this client. The do have a verified account. I just wanted to know if anyone had heard of this before. Thank you

Highlighted
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
5 of 13

@Tommera K wrote:

I just wanted to know if anyone had heard of this before. Thank you

Yes, it happens all the time. Newbies are scammed this way when they don't take the time to study how this site works.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Highlighted
6 of 13

I can appreciate your help. I don't think I appreciate being told I didn't do enough research. I just started with Upwork a week ago. Yes I am new, I took the job two days after. I thought it would be best to fulfill the clients wishes and do research later. I don't believe these people are trying to scam me as they have paid on other accounts. That said, I wouldn't release work finished without some kind of contract. I got the answer I was looking for without the lecture from someone else. Thanks Sincerely, The "newbie" 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
7 of 13

@Tommera K wrote:

I can appreciate your help. I don't think I appreciate being told I didn't do enough research. I just started with Upwork a week ago. Yes I am new, I took the job two days after. I thought it would be best to fulfill the clients wishes and do research later. I don't believe these people are trying to scam me as they have paid on other accounts. That said, I wouldn't release work finished without some kind of contract. I got the answer I was looking for without the lecture from someone else. Thanks Sincerely, The "newbie" 

i have to totally agree with what Rene said. You didn't take the time to research how this site works, the procedures and the do's and don'ts. If you had, you would not have proceeded at all without an active contract (officially being hired.)  You don't do jobs on Any freelancer site until you know how the site works. You don't do jobs first then research the proceders afterwards. That's like I'm going to get in my car and drive all over and then when I'm finished, I'll study for the written and driving test.

I hope that these clients aren't scammers. But everyone who posts here concerning scammers didn't think the clients were scammers when they started working for them. Scammers sometimes work that way, they pay some freelancers and then scam others. You are not the first one here posting that a client isn't a scammer because before I started working I checked and they paid other freelancers.

And yes, you're a "newbie" You've only been on this site for 1 week. That's what new freelancers are called. And that's also who the scammers look for because most of them don't take the time to learn the procedures of this site. These new freelancers are very easy to scam because of that.

As to what this client told you. It doesn't make sense Because... If this cleint has hired other freelancers they should know that in order to hire them a client has to click on the hire button. This client HAD to do that if the jobs are showing on his profile. All of a sudden he forgot how to hire freelancers? 

He's correct in how he PAID the freelancers. An invoice arrives and he pays it. But your post is about hiring, not paying. And he's hired before, according to you.

So, if you think some of the replies here are lectures, .....I don't know what to say about that.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
8 of 13

@Tommera K wrote:

Tommera, the other freelancers replying to you are trying to help you and prevent you from getting scammed. Because you haven't taken steps to protect yourself, they are trying to help you do so.

The long-term contributors to this forum have seen hundreds of new freelancers get scammed in exactly the way that you have described. And it's always because they haven't taken the time to familarise themselves with how the site works.

Also, if you can't handle criticism then you're going to find freelancing very difficult.

Highlighted
9 of 13

Thank you all, The job was opened today. Thanks to the link shared with me to actually answer the question I asked!  I know there are scammes out there. I know you are all trying to help. I was not asking about a scam though. I did my research on that. I don't believe I will be asking anymore questions. As I believe this was a little over dramatized for a simple question that someone answered with a link to share with my client and the problem was solved. I was not scammed! It worked out rather well client happy, I am happy.  I know I am new. I get that! I believe you were all new here once. Would you have liked someone scolding you?  That wasn't even the question. I do not need further replies. Thank you, problem solved job closed. Have a Happy Thanksgiving one and all. 

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
10 of 13

Hi Tommera,

You can't be paid without an active contract that would show on My Jobs page. Please, share this article with the client with detailed instructions for how to send you an offer and don't deliver the work to them until they do. Also, please review resources listed here

~ Valeria
Untitled