🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Is my job offer within Upwork standars? - One...
Page options
angelaspoor
Community Member

Is my job offer within Upwork standars? - OneForma

Hi Everyone, 

I am not sure whether I should accept a job offer and need some advice, I have read the clients instructions and it refers me to opening a OneForma account, I am unsure if this is acceptable to Upwork because as far as I understand it, OneForma is another type of online work-online site.  Can anyone give me advice please.  Thank you in advance. 

5 REPLIES 5
petra_r
Community Member

Angela S wrote:

I am not sure whether I should accept a job offer and need some advice, I have read the clients instructions and it refers me to opening a OneForma account,  

Do you actually a proper UPWORK job offer? Did you receive an email from Upwork advisin you of the offer and is there an offer on your Proposals Page under Offers?

Otherwise, this is just someone who is trying to get people to sign up for some obscure never heard of before platform.

Does the "client" actually have any hiring history on Upwork? Or even a verified payment method?

Hi Petra, 

Thank you for your advice, I have checked a few things as you mentioned, and it seems this might be ligitimate, they have payment method verified and previous hires.  It is not an offer, but rather a proposal to apply for their job, I will continue with it and see where it takes me, thank you for your assistance. 

If a client wants me to work for them, they are going to click the Hire button on their end. Then I will click the Accept button on Upwork.

Then I see the job listed here: 

Upwork -> My Jobs -> My Jobs

Then I work.

If a client wants me to do things on the OneForma site, I am willing to do that, but I will not be providing them with any information that can compromise me, not financially or legally or in terms of identify theft. Perhaps they want me to test out the site using fake information and provide them a written report about my experience, so they can improve their site design. If that is what they want me to do, they will clearly tell me so. That is a very legitimate type of job.

But I am not going to do anything on OneForma or any other site until I am officially hired using an Upwork contract.

OneForma is not part of the Upwork hiring process.

If a client is asking me to do something on OneForma before I have been hired with an hourly contract on Upwork, then it is not a real job, as far as I am concerned. It is a scheme. It is a trick, and there is no money in it for me.

Angela S wrote:

Hi Petra, 

Thank you for your advice, I have checked a few things as you mentioned, and it seems this might be ligitimate, they have payment method verified and previous hires.  It is not an offer, but rather a proposal to apply for their job, I will continue with it and see where it takes me, thank you for your assistance. 

It sounds like they're asking you to apply for a job on a different freelancing site (OneForma). That's strictly against Upwork's rules: if the client reaches a freelancer on here, like you, they have to do the interview and, if it goes that far, hire on here also. Both the client and you could be suspended or banned for handling the contract off Upwork.

The verified payment method doesn't mean anything other than they have access to the credit card they registered on Upwork. 

Thank you Wes, 

you are correct about OneForma, and I have already declined the job directly with the client. 

Should I report this client?  Can you advise how I do so? 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths