🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Is this a Scam?
Page options
9416c1cb
Community Member

Is this a Scam?

Hi,

I am new to upwork. I went through upwork and find this guy offering typing job. Went through his profile and location which was good enough. Furthermore he has a verified payment. He is from Japan. He asked to email him before applying for the typing job. So i have emailed him about my interest in typing job etc. In response he emailed me in detail about the typing job and offered to choose 1 project out of four. in short, he asked for a security before starting  which ranges from 30 $ to 100$. Please guide is it scam?

3 REPLIES 3
PradeepH

Hi Reza,

I checked the job post you were referring to and it appears that it's already been taken down because it was in violation of Upwork TOS.

Please check out this course for more tips on staying safe on Upwork and please use the flag option found on each job post or message anytime you’d like to report a violation.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork
iwan-spillebeen
Community Member

Short and simple answer, yes this is a scam.

You should never, under any circumstances be paying a client, ever.  Any and all payments are handled through UpWork.

Aside from that, contacting a client outside of the platform, before a contract has been started, is against the terms of service you agreed to when signing up (the same goes for the client).  Once a contract has been started you are free to communicate with the client through any means you'd like.

There is a reason for this rule, to avoid people being scammed, please follow it.

williamtcooper
Community Member

Reez,

Please click on the Academy link for success TIPS such as recognizing scams, Profile, Cover Letter, etc. Thanks!

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths