🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Job deleted on Upwork / client is asking for ...
Page options
476c130c
Community Member

Job deleted on Upwork / client is asking for payment on materials / software before start of trainin

Hi, I am very new to Upwork and I am not very aware how everything works. I got an email the day after I submitted a proposal that I was scheduled for an online interview. I got hired by one of the client's hiring managers right after the interview and sent me the contract. I  have read and signed it already, then the hiring manager also oriented me of the job etc. and have asked of the 10% payment to their "only trusted vendor" (in my payment of choice via Perfect Money / Money Gram / BITCON / PAYPONEER) of the total materials / software before I could start training.  She said that it would be reimbursed during training week.  I had a bad feeling about this "client" already because they are asking me for money and I kept on checking Upwork but the contract is not appearing on my account so I have checked again their job posting on Upwork but it has been deleted already, I also checked my email and just discovered that the email for interview is not really from Upwork it just says, "... (name of the sender) via Upwork" and has used the logo of Upwork on the email body itself. Also found out that Upwork removed the job post because it is not in compliance of their "Terms and Services". Should I report this straight away to Upwork and stop communicating as well with the "client" via Telegram? 

4 REPLIES 4
martina_plaschka
Community Member

You should never have started communicating with them on Telegram. This is not allowed. 

In case you are still not sure, this is a scam. 

Hi Martina, thank you for your answer. Will be more cautious from now on. 

Hi Martina

Want to bounce my experience quickly - hope you can advise! 

Received communication via Upwork from interested client - now she is asking for a refundable $49 payment before I can start the project.  Is this a scam?  Or is it normal practice?

Thank you

Charmaine

Hi Charmaine,

Thank you for reaching out to us and bringing this to our attention. I will send your report to our team for further investigation and appropriate actions will be taken according to our internal processes.

Please know that a real client will never ask you to give them money to start working, cash a check for them, work for free, or provide your personal information. Never get paid or pay someone outside of Upwork. You may open yourself up to scams or fraud, and lose Upwork Payment Protection. 

Please check this post for the freelancer resources and tips for avoiding questionable jobs that we put together to help freelancers make decisions whether to work with a client or not. I encourage you to let us know if a TOS violation has happened by using the Flag as Inappropriate option throughout the platform. You can learn more about user reporting here.

I also advise you to check this page to find great tips to help you stay safe on Upwork

~ Nikola
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths