cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need a friendly policy for all and Upwork should update their policy.

Highlighted
Md. Sabder A Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
1 of 14

Hi There,
I am a top rated freelancer and writing here with a lot of frustrations!!! Today when I contacted with live chat with an issue of ending inactive contact by upwork, I have heard that it will count against my job success score.

But when I tried to reach to my clients they are unresponsive for long time, they didn't reply to me at all. I strongly believe it's not my fault. So, why will you count this contract against my job success score? Even I can't leave a bad review for them because when I worked with them, they all are excellent except 1/2 clients and I enjoyed working with them. I deserve to get 5 stars from each of them.

I contacted upwork support before with this issue. Then one of their representative told me not to end any contract from my end and I didn't do yet. Because it will affect my job success score.

Now I have total 28 jobs in progress and most of them has been paused by upwork for inactivity. Some of them has been reactivated after continues interval and I may get response from only a few of them.

If upwork ends all of my jobs for inactivity, my job success score will go to the hell! Please remember, it's not my fault, even not the fault of clients. Because some of them might die, closed business, lost credentials or not using upwork anymore. I think I should give them 5 stars rating and I must deserve 5 stars rating as well.

I have taken freelancing as my career and I didn't do any local job. Now it may destroy my freelancing career and stop my livelihood, there is no other way to live.

So, my suggestion is to update upwork's policy to:

The freelancers should have the right to end contract without affecting job success score by providing correct reasons. When the freelancers will end contract, the clients should have 7/14 days to react on the contract and they can leave feedback against those contract within the period of time. If they don't do anything within this period, the freelancers will get 5 stars automatically.

or Upwork can end inactive contracts automatically after a period of time without counting job success score against those contracts. I mean job success score won't be counted against them. Because freelancers have no fault in these case.

What do you think? Please share your opinion so that we can get a friendly policy for all.

Thanks

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
2 of 14

Whatever you do,don't end all the contracts at once.  I find that if I close one or two at a time, then wait a couple of weeks, it doesn't really affect my JSS.  I do find, however, that when I end the dormant contracts the client typically doesn't leave any feedback.  Again, it doesn't seem to hurt my JSS if I only do one or two at a time.

Highlighted
3 of 14

Hi Mary,

Thank you so much for your advice. But if I end contracts from my end, it will be counted against job success score. I have been confirmed it from upwork live chat. Even if I don't end the contracts, upwork will do it autometically after a period of time and still it will be counted against JSS.

That's why I have suggested upwork to update their policy to the following:

The freelancers should have the right to end contract without affecting job success score by providing correct reasons. When the freelancers will end contract, the clients should have 7/14 days to leave feedback on the contract and they can leave feedback against those contract within the time period. But if the clients are still unresponsive within this period, the freelancers should get 5 stars automatically or job success score shouldn't be counted against them.

Or,

Upwork can end inactive contracts automatically after a period of time without counting job success score against those contracts. I mean job success score shouldn't be counted against them.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
4 of 14

@Md. Sabder A wrote:

That's why I have suggested upwork to update their policy to the following:

(...) the freelancers should get 5 stars automatically (...)

No way.

Weighing less? Maybe. But automatic five-star ratings? Lol. :-)

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Highlighted
5 of 14

Rene, what it should be when your clients are unresponsive, unresponsive and unresponsive?

When you got tired after trying to contact them so many times. Really the clients might die or left upwork for good. Then you shouldn't be accused of his/her death!!! In this case I suggest the two options either the freelancer should get 5 stars autometically as the clients are unresponsive till then or, the contract shouldn't be counted against job success score.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
6 of 14

If you end the contract, the client already has 14 days to give you feedback. You definitely don't deserve to get automatically 5 stars, that's just ridiculous.

Whether you like it or not, Upwork's position is that a client who does not actively close a contract and actively leave positive feedback is not a happy, satisfied client. If you as a freelancer have a history of many contracts with no feedback, that indicates to Upwork that you are not satisfying your clients, and your JSS will take a hit. (Note that it does require a pattern of no feedback - one or two here and there interspersed with other jobs with feedback will generally not have an affect.)

Client and contract management is something you have to learn to do as a freelancer. It is a skill just like anything else. If you have such a large number of jobs with no feedback then you clearly need to improve in this area. You should look at how you are managing the end of your contract. Are you inviting the client to close the job if they are satisfied with your work and have nothing left for you to do?

You probably want to try to contact all those clients first and invite them to close their jobs if they are done with you. You can tell them that it's very easy for them to rehire you in future if they have more work for you. Then you should start closing them off, 1 or 2 every couple of weeks, interspersed with other active projects being closed and leaving you feedback, until you clear them out. Then don't let them get so out of hand again, so you won't have this problem again.

Highlighted
7 of 14

Hi Jennifer,

Thank you so much for your valuable information. But I think you have missed some important point from my message. Let say you had a happy client and you earned a lot of money (i.e. $5000) from your client. Both of you were satisfied and had a plan to continue the contract for long term. Suddenly you found him unresponsive. You tried to contact him many times. But he is still unresponsive. Actually if the client died, it's impossible to reply or end contract from his/her end.

In this case, what's your fault? what's the fault of your client? Now if you end your contract from your end, it will be counted against your job success score. I have been confirmed it from upwork live chat. That's why I have suggested upwork to update their policy to the following:

The freelancers should have the right to end contract without affecting job success score by providing correct reasons. When the freelancers will end contract, the clients should have 7/14 days to leave feedback on the contract and they can leave feedback against those contract within the time period. But if the clients still unresponsive within this period, the freelancers should get 5 stars automatically or job success score shouldn't be counted against them.

Or,

Upwork can end inactive contracts automatically after a period of time without counting job success score against those contracts. I mean job success score shouldn't be counted against them.

Thanks

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
8 of 14

I'm just guessing here but discussed with other freelancers who think the same... I think they've toned down some of the hit on your JSS for no feedback. 

Highlighted
9 of 14

Yes, Jennifer M. I think you are right.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
10 of 14

@Md. Sabder A wrote:

Hi Jennifer,

Thank you so much for your valuable information. But I think you have missed some important point from my message. Let say you had a happy client and you earned a lot of money (i.e. $5000) from your client. Both of you were satisfied and had a plan to continue the contract for long term. Suddenly you found him unresponsive. You tried to contact him many times. But he is still unresponsive. Actually if the client died, it's impossible to reply or end contract from his/her end.

In this case, what's your fault? what's the fault of your client? Now if you end your contract from your end, it will be counted against your job success score. I have been confirmed it from upwork live chat. That's why I have suggested upwork to update their policy to the following:

The freelancers should have the right to end contract without affecting job success score by providing correct reasons. When the freelancers will end contract, the clients should have 7/14 days to leave feedback on the contract and they can leave feedback against those contract within the time period. But if the clients still unresponsive within this period, the freelancers should get 5 stars automatically or job success score shouldn't be counted against them.

Or,

Thanks

Yes, you don't need to keep repeating the same point over and over again.

The mods in the forum have repeatedly stated (and I believe them more than I believe chat support) that only a *PATTERN* of no feedback will count against you. One or two interspersed with other contracts with feedback will not affect you. So, in your hypothetical example (which is extremely unlikely), you wouldn't be affected unless all your clients suddenly died (and remember that there's plenty of clients who are not individuals and who have other people from their organisation to take over if they can't continue for some reason).

Freelancers can ALREADY end a contract and clients ALREADY can leave feedback for that contract within 14 days. That mechanism already exists.

But there's no way you're going to automatically get 5 stars and there's no way you deserve 5 stars either. I have no idea why you think this is at all a viable option.

(PS - I don't know why you think Upwork should have "friendly" policies. They have policies that make sense for them as a business. They are not your friend.)