🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Need guidance on policies
Page options
tradesherpa
Community Member

Need guidance on policies

Hi There ! I would need some advice on my UpWork account, which has been suspended.

I created my freelancer account last week. I was thus somehow new on the platform (I did hire some people there in the past for my company), and like a baby, full of hopes and good faith. Here is what I did wrong though (or did I?):

1/ When I created my account, I saw that I was allowed to request recommendations from previous clients I worked for outside of UpWork. I did send an invite to a client I have a wonderful relationship with through the link provided by UpWork, but the recommendation he submitted on UpWork was rejected (“there is not enough evidence” to prove that I worked with that client… OK, but the said link does not offer any means for the client to demonstrate our work relationship). Since my client had some ongoing work for me, we thought that he could post some job for me on the platform to help substantiate any feedback he may provide. I thus completed some work (getting less paid than usual because of UpWork fees), hoping to get my first review.

2/ In the meantime, I sent a couple of proposals and I caught the attention of an employer on UpWork, who wanted someone to write product copies in French. Since I had no review yet, I told him that I was hoping to prove myself, and I suggested to work on one product copy for free so that he could assess whether I was a good fit. I went above and beyond, worked 4 hours, and sent him several documents that included the product copy and some recommendations for the company’s website based on research I conducted on the industry. I delivered on the very same day. Of course, I wanted to land the job and get my first positive review. He liked my work and was willing to hire me for the whole project. All I had to do at that point was to confirm my rates, which I did, and it sounded good to the employer. Then, my account got suspended.

I worked for both projects and delivered quality work, part of it for free with the goal of building my first credentials on the platform. I did not try to lure anyone outside of UpWork, quite the opposite. I made a prospective employer happy with evidence that I was a good fit for the job. I end up missing a $500 opportunity along with a fun project because I now have no means of contacting the employer who was willing to hire me. I end up with a suspended account. Is that fair? What can I do?

Thank you very much for any help you may provide in solving that issue.

Best,

Anne-Lise

3 REPLIES 3
lysis10
Community Member

Did you communicate off of Upwork on #2? I'm guessing if you did Upwork assumed you were getting payment off platform.

Hi Jennifer,

For #2, I was not communicating outside of UpWork. I was following the normal procedure: I checked the job description and the document the employer posted for prospective freelancers; I exchanged some messages on the chat room after the employer contacted me regarding my proposal; I sent my work through the chat room; the employer reviewed it during the weekend and we started discussing my rates (I suggested a fixed-price project). All I know about that person is that he asked to develop copies for a German company - I assume he is part of an agency - and I would not know how to contact him outside of UpWork.

If #1 was the mistake, then I guess I made a beginner's mistake, and if that's the case, I apologize. #2 shows that I am not trying to trick anyone, way the opposite.

Thank you for your message, I appreciate a lot.

Best,

Anne-Lise

JoanneP

Hi Anne-Lisse,

Could you please send me a PM by clicking on my name, and kindly share the details of the account you are referring to so I can check? 

~ Joanne
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths