🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » New on upwork
Page options
a56afb45
Community Member

New on upwork

Hi im new here i hav created my profle today but as i havnt done anything how someone is going to hire me without any reviews or ratings compared to other who r old n have good reviews n stars 

4 REPLIES 4
martina_plaschka
Community Member

What's with the weird abbreviations? You should never do that, especially as a writer. 

Abbreviating random words is disrespectful to the reader and can appear lazy. 

cassajoy
Community Member

Upwork wouldn't work if all the new freelancers couldn't get projects because they don't have reviews or ratings. So, there are other things new freelancers can do. Your profile is barely filled out, but more importantly, you can't have those typos, especially being a writer. Write the way you do for the medical content you say you write for - and I'm not talking about the tone or voicing.

MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Hazel,

One thing I suggest to improve your chances is to have a 100% complete profile. This is necessary to qualify for badges like Rising Talent which might help you win work. Right now your profile is only 40% complete. Check out this article for tips on completing your profile.

To give a clear impression you’re the person the client wants to talk to, here are some additional tips for writing a great Overview.

Cheers,
Mike
485003da
Community Member

Apply for cheap quick jobs to get that early feedback. You have to be prepared to work cheaply while building your name up.

Look for key phrases in the job you are pitching for and match your skills.

Acknowledge you are new and offer how that means you will put your pest effort while trying to prove yourself.

Using these methods I managed to secure the first job I ever pitched for, and have now got some early 5-star feedback and 6 jobs. 

Write carefully, properly, and well. Proofread everything (even a forum post) get into the habit of treating every bit of writing you do as if it was being viewed by your top paying client. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths