Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie advice, please!

Highlighted
Lauren S Member Since: Oct 24, 2016
1 of 5

Hello all -

Ive been on Upwork for a few months now. I apply to at least 5 jobs per week, and I have only landed one job.

What am I doing wrong? Ive read through the tips and tricks that have been discussed and shared, taken tests, reworked my profile, changed my rate...what am I missing?

Ive had a few clients email me and we have started a dialogue, but then crickets. Then there are the ones I apply to that never move forward at all. For anyone.

I knew that finding freelancing work was going to be hard, but I am starting to get discouraged.

I welcome any and all advice.

Many thanks in advance for giving me some clues!

Lauren

Highlighted
Dhruv S Member Since: Oct 24, 2016
2 of 5

Hello,

Don't get discouraged, i was keep trying to get work on upwork from last 1 and half month and today i finally got work my first project. keep trying with different proposals, read carefully about the client's needs. I really hope you will get your project soon too. it will make you forget all the things and will make you so happy. even if you will be earning so little,

Good luck ^^

Highlighted
Simon D Member Since: Oct 24, 2016
3 of 5

Yeah I also feel like I'm just spinning wheels here. I apply to at least 5-10 / week and most of them, you don't hear anything.  I think it's more of a seller's market for employers than freelancers.  There's so much competition and within 10 mins of a new posting there's already 10-15 proposals at ridiculous rates. **Edited for Community Guidelines**

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
4 of 5

Lauren, it is impossible to say what you are doing wrong. You have a convincing profile, so the only thing I can think of is that your proposals are not grabbing your potential clients' attention.

Remember that the first two or three lines are vital, so don't waste them by re-introducing yourself and giving your qualifications, or any unnecessary information. You telll them right off the bat what you can do for them and then give your details.

You might already be doing this, in which case, you could be applying for the wrong jobs.

Highlighted
Sonia A Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
5 of 5

Your profile is impressive so don't get discourage, Lauren

I want to share this with you https://www.upwork.com/blog/2016/11/future-work-november-21/?share_source=email