🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Scam
Page options
e94d8551
Community Member

Scam

I applied for a job and I think it's a scam. They said they'll send me a laptop, printer and software to proofread and they sent me a pdf of a check of $2,000 to deposit. Why they're sending me a fake check?

here are screengrabs since there is absolutely no way to report this to upwork. 
**edited for Community Guidelines**

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm glad to know you were to be report it, Ana. 

For those following this thread - the cog on the messages will pop up when you hover your mouse on a message. Freelancers and clients can click on the cog to display the options. When you hover your mouse on a message, it will be highlighted in gray, and the cog will appear beside the time stamp.

Screen Shot 2022-02-08 at 1.21.44 PM.png

~ Avery
Upwork

View solution in original post

52 REPLIES 52

I intend on doing just that.  It's worked before.  Maybe people are too lazy to go through with it, but I am absolutely relentless and will not stop until I get to the bottom of everything.  And THAT is a quality that's much needed today!!!

P.S. The fact that the actual bank representative said that the check is legitimate is a gigantic ace in my pocket, and I have that on paper via email.  If it wasn't for this, I'd likely be out of 2 grand.

It can look like a legit cheque but that doesn't mean it won't bounce. It takes 2-5 days to clear (or longer, if it's from a foreign bank), and the bank rep has no way of knowing whether it will. I'm telling you that this is definitely a scam, so you really ought to get in touch with your bank now. 

Christine... He just doesn't get it.

Paul D wrote:

I intend on doing just that.  It's worked before.  Maybe people are too lazy to go through with it, but I am absolutely relentless and will not stop until I get to the bottom of everything.  And THAT is a quality that's much needed today!!!

P.S. The fact that the actual bank representative said that the check is legitimate is a gigantic ace in my pocket, and I have that on paper via email.  If it wasn't for this, I'd likely be out of 2 grand.

I don't know how many posts I've read from you, I'll answer you here, although several colleagues have already answered you and you don't want to admit that everything, deep down, is your fault.
I'm going to be very clear, if anyone is offended, I'm sorry, or not, I don't know anymore.

You, and all the freelancers who land on the platform and think they can start submitting proposals without having the slightest idea of ​​how it works, are to blame for everything that is happening to you.
You are lying at the time of "signing" with Upwork, since you have not read the TOS that you claim to have read.
If you at least read these, the most basic thing to avoid falling into scams would have been learned. Do not contact outside of Upwork before you have a contract and do not buy or exchange money with a client outside of Upwork.

I'm not an English speaker, and reading and understanding the TOS and help was a job for me, but I did it. Using a translator and asking questions when I didn't understand something. And I have done this on all the platforms on which I have registered. You understand English, so why haven't you read it? It would only have taken you a few minutes! I seem to remember that in another post you said that you didn't see anywhere that you can't get the Upwork interviews, or something like that. Did you really search?

And at Upwork we have the advantage of having a forum in which many colleagues are willing to answer the same questions over and over again. In other portals you depend on the answers that customer service can give you, which may or may not happen.

So stop complaining so much, learn how the platform works, ask if you have questions, and leave the FBI alone, they sure have more important things to take care of.

...I am absolutely relentless and will not stop until I get to the bottom of everything.  And THAT is a quality that's much needed today!!!

A much more essential quality is willingness to read the site's terms of service before you begin work here. Receiving cheques from clients is a serious violation, and that in itself could get your account terminated.

The fact that the actual bank representative said that the check is legitimate is a gigantic ace in my pocket...

There is no way this cheque can be legit. There have been hundreds of posts down through the years from freelancers caught up in the exact same scam. If somebody says the cheque is genuine, then it could be that the scammers have a fake site and phone number to match the make-believe bank - this is known to happen. 

The people replying to your posts here are just being honest about the situation. The rules are made mostly to protect freelancers, and anyone who abides by them is safe from being scammed.

Also, it's completely implausible that a client would pay for a freelancer's equipment rather than find one who already has it. It just doesn't make any kind of sense from a financial point of view.

You should read this warning before you go any further:

Top Red Flags for Scams: From Community Membe... - Upwork Community

A) Doubtful that software and a foot pedal cost $2,000; B) Doubtful that a new and unproven freelancer would get that kind of investment from a client; C) You're still missing the main point, which is that you're not allowed to accept cheques AT ALL, under any circumstances. Also, use your common sense - why would a client need to buy you a laser printer, for example? They want you to print out your articles instead of sending via email? 

It's not a real bank. It's not a real bank employee. It's not a real check. Real bank employees don't talk like that. Nobody can verify a check before it is cashed. A bank can't verify that a check is legit before they try to cash it. How can they know that one of their customers issued a check? They don't know that. They have no way of knowing that. (If it's a real bank, that is.) 

Why in the world do you think Upwork is liable? You disregarded the ToS. Upwork can't (and shouldn't) protect you from actions you take outside of the platform. You can't break the rules, fall for a scam, and then expect Upwork to do something. That's not logical. 

No but they should do more to vet clients who POSTS jobs and overview EACH one  and reachout to the client if they feel something is wrong  There are multiple repeate offenders that I report watch the post get took down and they are right back up with a 0 dollar verified account.   

7e901072
Community Member

The same thing happened to me! I just joined this website, and every opportunity I received is a scam!!! It's so unfortunate! Since Upwork knows about these particular scams, they should WARN US RIGHT AWAY ON THE HOME PAGE! I’m sick about it! I’ve worked 40 hours only to get my FB Marketplace shut down and scammed out of $2500!!!!! if you were me, would you come back to this site for work? Probably not! Not unless you are a glutton for punishment. Signed, Used, Exhausted, and $2500 poorer! 

I understand the frustration and I'm sorry to learn about this unpleasant experience Sara.

Many of you noted challenges that our teams are working to address, including higher than usual volumes of scam posts, constantly changing methods of scam accounts and gaps in user education around Upwork TOS and safety.

I want to assure you we are working on opportunities to address these on all fronts. I encourage you to check out this post for more details. We’ll continue sharing updates and information around the team’s initiatives as they become available.

We also encourage you to let us know if you find anything suspicious has happened by using the Flag as Inappropriate option throughout the platform. You can learn more about user reporting here. You may want to check this help article and this thread for more information on how to stay safe on Upwork.

~ Arjay
Upwork
77cda6fa
Community Member

Are you unable to read? The site clearly reads not to accept payments out side the upwork platform.  You can always get a charge back from your bank but next time learn the rules they are here for a reason.

907da17e
Community Member

Did they give you the company name? I think this is happening to me now. However they sent a real check that was overnighted for several thousand dollars to purchase a printer, laptop, software...I have hear nothing from the "supervisor" and I actually lost my message thread from her....UPWORK removed their listing because they didn't follow the terms...they contacted me thru Skype....I don't know what to do.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths