🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Seeking Advice: New to Upwork and Navigat...
Page options
745ea6c4
Community Member

Seeking Advice: New to Upwork and Navigating the Freelance Landscape

Hello, everyone,

I'm relatively new to Upwork. Although my account was created last year, it's only now that I am actively searching for jobs while I am in-between employment. Initially, I thought freelancing would be a viable option; however, I'm finding it quite challenging to even receive a response to the positions I apply for.

I'm starting to think that a change in mindset might be necessary. Could anyone share their experiences or recommendations on how to successfully navigate the freelance marketplace on Upwork?

Thank you in advance for your insights!

2 REPLIES 2
5ae932d8
Community Member

Hi Miriam,

I have been here for about a month and from what I heard its the hardest starting off and gets easier as you go along, or at least find some form of work-which is gruelling at the start. I have earned the rising talent badge but still haven't recieved any contact from buyers.

I guess I have to keep trying but there were videos on Youtube that claimed they are freelancers who sent 100+ proposals and still haven't found work. It is clearly not the extremely rosy career option the way it looks like it from the outside.

For me, this has been my strategy and you can use it:

• I write unique cover letters for each client. They are long and hard to do, but it gives me satisfaction
  • I have 100%-ed my profile with chapters from my book, my reviews (In short I have a powerful alibi before entering Upwork and it definitely helps).
  • Pros advise you to keep cover letters short. But my long cover letters still won me a rising talent badge so I must be doing something right. In short if you have a lot to say about the clients project and how you fit into the job, write longer. (I have tried to find a balance more recently-I write cover letters filled with useful/relateable info but also keep them brief so that the client is more likely to read, though they are still larger in size than what I saw in templates.
  • Portfolio can be made with tasks you did outside of Upwork (This has been especially useful to know for me, because I have authored fantasy books and can place pages from it in the portfolio section). Similarly I have reviews from my past gaming site, which also fit perfectly in the portfolio.
  • Get creative. Especially when you apply as a graphic designer or book writer.
  • Be nice and friendly.
  • Have good knowledge about your niche. I feel my knowledge of gaming, fantasy, sci fi goes hand in hand with my writing talent, and I have knowledge to share.

Please check my own profile, if you wish and you might get some useful tips. I am doing the same thing to see how other (successful) freelancers do it.

Keep trying and best wishes.

williamtcooper
Community Member

Search and submit to appropriate Jobs and click the above Academy link to learn how to land that first Job.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths