🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Shortened URL Link to Telegram to apply for j...
Page options
aa79d5dd
Community Member

Shortened URL Link to Telegram to apply for job

Hi Everyone, My name is Annelies and I live on Mauritius Island. 

I am new here and yesterday I applied for a Job offer. Within 10 minutes I received a response with a link to a shortened URL link to Telegram with the request to contact the general manager for more information about the job. 

I think it's very suspicious however since I am new here, is this a common practise ?

Cheers

Annelies

3 REPLIES 3
penngrp
Community Member

When you came here to ask your question did you see a "search bar"? If you would have typed in he word "Telegram" you would have found your answer quickly. Simple answer, avoid the job. By the way talking with someone outside of Uowork before you have a contract in place is a big no no. 

ArjayM

Hi Annelies,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Jeffrey's right! Sharing contact information before a contract has started is against Upwork's Terms of Service and that all communications prior to the contract starting must take place on Upwork.

I've checked the job you're referring to and can confirm that it has been removed due to a violation of Upwork's TOS. We also encourage you to let us know if you find anything suspicious has happened by using the Flag as Inappropriate option throughout the platform. You can learn more about user reporting here

You may want to check this help article and this thread for more information on how to stay safe on Upwork.

~ Arjay
Upwork
aa79d5dd
Community Member

Hi Arjay & Jeffrey. 

What do you mean with sharing contact information? Are you referring to the repsonse I received from the Job offer to contact his manager ? I am starting to understand how scams can easily infiltrate into this system and I am always very suspicious when shortened links are provided. Good to know. I will educate myself to divert from such scams, if you can call it like that. Cheers. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths