🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Stuck in Profile Creation
Page options
aginatta
Community Member

Stuck in Profile Creation

Hi UPWORK

I just created my account and as soon as I went to profile settings to complete my profile to 100%, I got the following message: "

Welcome to Upwork! Tell us about the type of work you're interested in."

However, below this message, there is no space or option to answer it. Please refer to the file attached. 

Please help. 

Regards, 

Andres Ginatta

49 REPLIES 49
VladimirG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Andres, 

Could you please clear your cache and cookies, try using a different browser and let me know if the issue persists?

~ Vladimir
Upwork
ftomasi
Community Member

I'm having the same problem. Clearing cache doesn't work and the page loads normally in Chrome but not Firefox.

omarhassanaly
Community Member

i have the same problem any solution ? 

Omar,

Could you please use a different browser to access the page?

~ Valeria
Upwork

Hey all!

I'm new to Upwork and like what I see so far however when I try to view jobs and submit proposals I get the "Welcome to Upwork! Tell us about the type of work you're interested in" but there's no option to "tell" anything 😄

How do I fix this?

(see attachment)

Hi Diandra,

Could you please clear your cache and cookies and try loading the page again? Alternatively, you can try using an incognito window or a different browser like other users suggested on this thread.

~ Valeria
Upwork

When I try to edit my upwork profile or even create it nothing comes. Please help me!Screen Shot 2017-08-28 at 5.44.55 PM.png

Hi Abdl,

Could you please try using a different browser or incognito window in your current browser to access your account? Let us know if you still experience the issue.

~ Valeria
Upwork

After creating a new account, when I try to access my account profile I get the following message: "Welcome to Upwork! Tell us about the type of work you're interested in." But there is no link, dialog box or any other means provided for answering the question. This screen appears EVERY time I go to Settings, even after logging out and back in again. I am not able to find any way around it in order to use Upwork. It prevents me from submitting a proposal which is why I visited Upwork in the first place. I give up.

Try either deleting cookies, emptying cache, and restarting browser, or an incognito window, or another browser. Good luck.

I have just signed up for Upwork and am unable to create a profile.  I keep getting sent to this webpage ... https://www.upwork.com/ab/create-profile/experience-level/

Which has this message ...

Welcome to Upwork! Tell us about the type of work you're interested in.

but there is no place to enter any information or questions to answer!  Thus I am unable to create my profile.

I have attempted to create my profile by going through the FAQ section of the website, and following links, but they all have send me to the webpage above and giving me the same message.

Please help me set up my profile.

Thank you

Lori

Lori,

When I click on the link it takes me to the front page if that is happening to you may be is a temporal failure of the site. However, I want to ask you, have you tried with another nich, sometimes your profile can't be completed because the platform is already full of people who perform the same activities that you do. May be you have another things to offer, and wait some space is open in your field

Thank you, but I can't even get that far.  

The only thing I have been able to do is set up my username and password. 

Submit a ticket to the help support center, and don't be sad u will become an Upworker very soon. By the way, have you recived an email from Upwork?

I have the same issue

Hi Lori, and Hiki, 

I'll request the Customer Support Team to reach out to you regarding this issue. 

~ Avery
Upwork
adlopez6
Community Member

Hi Avery! I am having the same issue and can't figure out how to reach the support team. I've only found the option to post here in the community. Can you tell me how I can reach support? Thanks!

Amber,

Could you please try using an incognito window or a different browser to log into your account and complete your profile? Let us know if the page still doesn't load fully.

Thanks!

~ Valeria
Upwork
lindos2014
Community Member

How can I update my profile.

I just registered and anything I tried takes me to a page where a question appears "

Welcome to Upwork! Tell us about the type of work you're interested in."

but I can not click anywhere else or do anything else

Hi Panagiotis.

Which browser are you using when you log into your Upwork account? Could you please try logging in using a different browser? You should see options to select your category, skills and experience level:

Screenshot_11.png

~ Valeria
Upwork
aginatta
Community Member

Hi Omar, I used Incognito mode in Google Chrome and that solved the problem. It seems something related to cookies or something.
Hope that works
m_vizitiu
Community Member

Hello, 

I have the same problem with the page not loading. I have tried it with Safari. 

Any thoughts on how to fix it?

Thanks

Hi Maria,

Could you please try clearing your cache and cookies or using an incognito window to open the page?

~ Valeria
Upwork

Thank you that worked now 

isabella_nomad
Community Member

Hi Upwork team, 

I'm dealing with the same issues, pls advise.

thnx! 

Isabella

I just signed up as a writer looking for work but the website is not giving me a chance to set up my profile.  I'm sent to a page that says, "Tell us the kind of work you are looking for etc or something to that effect" and then there is no way to enter any information on that page or do anything.  I can't submit a proposal because I can't set up my account and create a profile, I'm about ready to give up and move on to another website that actually works.  any suggestions out there?   My email address is**Edited for Community Guidelines**   Randy Wilson is the name.

Randy, welcome to Upwork!  I'm a Freelancer on the Upwork platform as you're attempting to become.  As a Freelancer, I can't assist you with this but hopefully a Moderator will come along soon to do so.

If that's not the case, go to the "Help and Support" area for assistance.  Good luck, Randy!

Randy,

Please, try using an incognito window or a different browser to log into your account as a workaround.

Sorry about the inconvenience.

~ Valeria
Upwork
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Isabella, 

Can you try the steps that Valeria has listed below: Could you please try using an incognito window or a different browser to log into your account and complete your profile? Let us know if the page still doesn't load fully.

~ Goran
Upwork
tara-vargo
Community Member

me too

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Tara,

Could you please try using an incognito window or a different browser to log into your account and complete your profile? Let us know if the page still doesn't load fully.

~ Goran
Upwork
mldc22
Community Member

I have been trying to create a profile but, everytime I click on the link it sends me to a page which says "

"Welcome to Upwork! Tell us about the type of work you're interested in."

There is no option or link, to create the profile. 

Hi Mariam,

Could you please try the workaround that was shared on this thread earlier and access your account using an incognito window or a different browser?

~ Valeria
Upwork
elbereth-howard
Community Member

Hi!

I'm also experiencing this issue.  

To add more info: I'm on an iPad, using the built-in Safari app.  As a work around, I downloaded the Upwork app, however there doesn't seem to be any option to alter profile settings through the app.  (I also saw at least one review of the app in the App Store stating they also see the same message about telling more about yourself etc, with no option to do so, but I couldn't even get to that page via the app.  The review is from September 2.)

During my initial profile creation (done via Safari), I saw the option to give my name, email, password, etc, along with a captcha requirement.  After entering the data and tapping the Next button (or whatever it's called, I don't remember), I then briefly saw a message stating it was taking longer than usual to create a profile, followed by an error message stating that the profile couldn't be created due to higher than usual traffic.

After that, I checked my email (via the Mail app) and saw a request to verify my email address.  I clicked the link to do so, which brough me back to Upwork.com in Safari.  After that, your page shows that I'm  logged in, but when trying to continue my profile creation, I run into that same message mentioned at the start of this thread, asking me to tell Upwork more about myself, without any options below to tap/click on, or enter information.

Another, possibly unrelated question (this strikes me as a pretty wide spread bug on the website hitting you guys right now), but is this possibly related to the fact I'm on an iOS device?  What browsers/OS's does Upwork.com work with?  Using the iPad would be *extremely* convenient, since I don't have a traditional laptop at all, and would have to use a desktop computer.  

Update: Your page won't let me upload photos, at least not from this iPad.  The error reads: Correct the highlighted errors and try again.
The file IMG_0372.PNG does not have a valid extension for an attachment and has been removed. .jpg,.gif,.pdf,.pptx,.wmv are the valid extensions.

Hi Elbereth, 

I'd like to clarify that you will not be able to setup your profile using the mobile app. I would recommend that you log on a desktop computer and use a web browser to complete your profile. 

Could you please try uploading a JPG instead of a PNG file?

~ Avery
Upwork

Hi Avery,

My apologies; I didn't see your post before updating my own post.

So, I did find I could update my profile without issue via the iPad- but submitting audio for specific gigs was a no go; that's definitely a limitation of the website/s interface with iOS, as you mentioned.  

In regard to the jpg/png, are you referring to my issue with uploading a photo ID?  I've got a ticket submitted for that (the website prompted me to contact support), but when I try to go back to re-try the process I can't return to the ID upload page at all, at this point.  

It's really late for me...gonna check back in the morning.

Night

Hi Elbreth, 

Let's discuss this one by one shall we. 🙂 

1. If you check the job post where your proposal was withdrawn, you will see this note on the right-hand-side (screen grab below) which states that the job application was cancelled by Upwork because you are being requested to complete your ID-verification.

Screen Shot 2017-09-15 at 3.29.34 PM.png
  2. For the audio files, could you please let us know the file type you are trying to upload, and which part of the application process you were in when you experienced the error? Please let us know as this will help us review the issue further. 

3. For your scanned ID to verify your location, the following guidelines need to be met:
    - It's a color picture and the information on the document is clearly visible

- The file is at least 30KB and 200 dpi

- The format of the file is PNG, JPEG, PDF or BMP

- All four corners of the ID are showing 

Helpful Tips:
    - Be sure that you upload the correct file type (JPEG, PDF or PNG)

- Make sure that you upload a clear, color copy of your ID/passport

- Be sure that your driver’s license, state ID, or U.S. passport is valid

It looks like your ticket didn't go through. I'll reach out to the Customer Support Team and an Agent should get back to you regarding your ID-verification.

~ Avery
Upwork

Welp, looks like the work around of going into private browsing mode works for me too...

However I can't submit a proposal that includes audio uploads, because it doesn't include the option for anything other than photos via the iPad.  On my desktop computer, the option is there.  I also had a proposal withdrawn by Upwork; not sure why.  It just says "Withdrawn by you".  I think it's related to my profile, and  I've created a ticket for it (well, sort of - I got an error message when trying to submit a photo ID).

Haha..I guess there are a few kinks left to work out, although it's an interesting website.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Carolyn, 

Before proceeding, could you please try clearing your cache and cookies, or using a different browser? Let us know if this doesn't work.

EDIT: Carolyn, someone will reach out to you to help you resolve your issue.

~ Avery
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths