🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » (Tax) I'm a U.S citizen but I'm a student
Page options
48f17aa2
Community Member

(Tax) I'm a U.S citizen but I'm a student

Hi, I'm a U.S citizen and live in the United States, but I don't pay tax because I'm a student right now. 

How can I get money in this case?

Your explanation will be very helpful to me. 

3 REPLIES 3
patchworksvideo
Community Member

Regardless of whether you're a student, your income is potentially taxable, and you would be responsible for filing a tax return IF you're required to do so by meeting the income thresholds. For tax years through 2022, you probably weren't required to file, and you probably were claimed as a dependent on someone else's return, as many students are. Check with a tax advisor if you're unsure.

However - even if you haven't paid income tax (yet!), you are still a "taxpayer" and must submit your W-9 info that Upwork asks for. Essentially, this lets Upwork confirm who to send the money to, and who to send a year-end tax form reporting that income.

If you earn $600 or more this year (2023), Upwork will send you a 1099-K form reporting your income to you and the IRS. If you don't earn that much, you are still responsible for reporting the income on your own (if required, depending on a variety of factors).

So, in short, fill out what Upwork asks for. You are required to do so. Once you do, you'll be able to be paid!

2e91ca06
Community Member

I also dot know please teach me also 😅

Hi Satyam,

Thank you for reaching out. Just like what John said, even if you're a student, you may have to consult a local tax advisor in order for them to properly advise you on what you need to do to file taxes in your country.

Based on your registered address, you may also want to read this help article for more information.

~ AJ
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths