🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Tips for Getting Started on Upwork
Page options
MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Tips for Getting Started on Upwork

Getting started on Upwork can be challenging. Here are some top tips that can help you succeed.

Complete Your Profile

First, it can be very helpful to complete your profile 100%. It’s important to understand that there are certain sections that must be completed in order to reach 100%. You can even technically exceed 100% completion. The more fields you complete on your profile, the better your chances of winning work. Also, your profile must be 100% complete in order to qualify for badges such as Rising Talent and Top Rated. Check out this help article for more information on the numerous ways you can reach 100% or more completion. I also recommend this article about why a great title and overview can make a difference.

Set Your Profile Visibility

Second, we recommend updating your profile visibility. Once you’ve crafted the perfect profile, you’ll want clients to be able to see it. When setting your profile visibility, you have three options: Public, Only Upwork Users, or Private.  If you set your profile to private, it will be excluded from the Upwork marketplace and search engines. This means clients won’t see you when they search for freelancers. Therefore, it’s in your best interest to set your profile visibility to Public or Only Upwork Users.

Submit Proposals

Third, submit proposals! This may seem like an obvious step, but it’s one that often doesn’t receive enough attention from new freelancers. By regularly submitting proposals for projects that fit your skills, you not only increase your chances of winning work, but you also prevent your profile from being automatically set to private, which can happen if you are inactive from the platform. As you submit more proposals, you will also learn what does and doesn’t get the attention of clients. Also, remember, that you may have to submit more than 5 proposals before you win your first project. Persistence is key. To help improve the quality of your proposals, I invite you to read about how to create a proposal that wins jobs and take in this proven advice from freelancers on Upwork. Also, check out this great article about How To Get More Jobs on Upwork in 2022!

Cheers,
Mike
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

For help with your profile, check out this peer feedback thread and consider joining an Upwork Academy Coaching Cohort!

Cheers,
Mike

View solution in original post

849 REPLIES 849
MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Kaydia,

I took a look at your profile and have some suggestions.

• Your profile overview is short compared to the average. Upwork’s research shows clients see it as a positive signal if the profile is well written and comprehensive. Therefore, consider crafting your overview as a pitch to prospective clients.
    • Focus on how you can help clients achieve their goals. For example, expand on who you are, the services you offer, and what you’re most passionate about. 
    • Be clear on your expertise and mention specialized software or tools. 
    • If appropriate, let your personality shine through (include some excitement), and show your qualities and praise the work you do, instead of focusing on yourself.
  • I notice you haven’t added any pieces to your portfolio. Your portfolio is one of the most important profile components that clients review, even for non-visual fields. Our research shows that missing portfolio pieces can be a negative signal for clients. Consider adding a few relevant pieces. It might help in getting more profile views and high-quality job invites.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Mike
14624d29
Community Member

Hello

I'm new to Upwork platform and keen to start freelancing. Could You do a review of my profile and suggest some improvements?
Have sent out many proposals but until now only a scam has come back to me.

All the best
Liisa

HI Upworkers
Top Rated freelancer but not get the job from 1 month My Jss score is 100. I am very disappointed

Hi Ameer,

I took a look at your profile and have some suggestions:

• The beginning of your profile overview displays in prospective client search results and it’s your first 200-character pitch. Right now the "Hi, Welcome to my profile." is taking up valuable real estate.
  • our profile overview is short compared to the average. Upwork’s research shows clients see it as a positive signal if the profile is well written and comprehensive. Therefore, consider crafting your overview as a pitch to prospective clients. 

• Focus on how you can help clients achieve their goals. For example, expand on who you are, the services you offer, and what you’re most passionate about. 
    • If appropriate, let your personality shine through (include some excitement), and show your qualities and praise the work you do, instead of focusing on yourself.
    • Other examples of information you can include are past accomplishments and projects, preferred working style, and your business’ values (e.g. I believe in strong communications or thorough upfront planning), industries or lines of businesses you have worked in before, and the types of clients you have worked with before (start-ups, solo entrepreneurs, large businesses, etc.). 
  • Your written English skills are strong and you are easy to understand. However, I did see a few minor errors. If you'd like to add extra polish, you might want to consider using Grammarly. I use this myself and really like it because it's free and it offers a Chrome add-on so it works in webmail, messages, proposals, and more.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Mike
MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Liisa,

Thanks for your message. I reviewed your profile and have some suggestions.

• The beginning of your profile overview displays in prospective client search results and it’s your first 200-character pitch. So, your first sentence should include clear, relevant information about your primary skill sets and expertise. To give a clear impression you’re the person the client wants to talk to, here are some additional tips for writing a great Overview.
  • Your profile overview is short compared to the average. Upwork’s research shows clients see it as a positive signal if the profile is well written and comprehensive. Therefore, consider crafting your overview as a pitch to prospective clients. 

• Help clients understand your abilities better by listing information about your skills and experience in an original and creative way. 
    • Other examples of information you can include are past accomplishments and projects, preferred working style, and your business’ values (e.g. I believe in strong communications or thorough upfront planning), industries or lines of businesses you have worked in before, and the types of clients you have worked with before (start-ups, solo entrepreneurs, large businesses, etc.). 

Cheers,
Mike

I've been at Upwork for a long time but no work. I have experience working in local market but can't use Upwork. what reason?

Hi, 

I joined upwork from July and still havent received a client till now. I posted a question before regarding why I am not getting clients and I was advised to make a portfolio and refine my bio.

Now that I have done that I would like someone to review my profile to check whats wrong and why I am not getting any clients. 

Thank you so much for your time in reading this and I hope someone can help me out

Aldrin P.

Aldrin P wrote:

Hi, 

I joined upwork from July and still havent received a client till now. I posted a question before regarding why I am not getting clients and I was advised to make a portfolio and refine my bio.

Now that I have done that I would like someone to review my profile to check whats wrong and why I am not getting any clients. 

Thank you so much for your time in reading this and I hope someone can help me out

Aldrin P.

You should offer proofreading only in your native language. You are not a native speaker, and it shows. You are in competition with ten of thousands of native English speakers. Why would a client hire a non-native speaker for proofreading? That would be pretty foolish, wouldn't it?

What other marketable skills do you have that you can utilize in a meaningful way?

Hi Team,

I need help here!

I am a bookkeeper. Even though I am bidding on the relevant projects matched to my skilled but it seems that I am not getting much views. I am adding all the relevant keywords and skills that may be required for the project.

MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Sidra,

I noticed a couple things about your profile. First, your profile is only 90% incomplete. I suggest reviewing this article for help completing your profile. Second, your profile is a little hard to quickly scan. Considering adding bullets (you can use dashes: "-") to make the lists on your profile easier to read. 

Cheers,
Mike

My first language is English and im basically fluent in it, but other than
proofreading, I suppose voice acting?
jiokhan
Community Member

after a time ago  is perfect  going....

tabassum2005
Community Member

Hi Mike,

could you review my profile and provide some feedback . It will be very helpful for me to succeed.

Regards,

Tabassum

Hi Tabassum,

Thanks for your message! Your profile is off to a good start, but your profile overview is short compared to the average. Here are some tips:

Cheers,
Mike
litonroy33
Community Member

Hi Mike J

Can you check my profile and give me your advice? I will be very glad to have your help.

Best,

Liton R. | Graphic Designer

iincite
Community Member

I would appreciate a profile review

Thank you

MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Ismail,

Right now your profile is, more or less, just a list. Upwork’s research shows clients see it as a positive signal if the profile is well written and comprehensive. Therefore, consider crafting your overview as a pitch to prospective clients. 

• The beginning of your profile overview displays in prospective client search results and it’s your first 200-character pitch. So, your first sentence should include clear, relevant information about your primary skill sets and expertise.
  • Help clients understand your abilities better by listing information about your skills and experience in an original and creative way. 

Cheers,
Mike
tanzie55
Community Member

Thanks, I'm new to Upwork and the community. 

muhammadakram56
Community Member

Hello Mike, Can you please review my profile, everything is okay? And suggest to me how to improve my profile to always get in touch Upwork talent success manager like you and the client to get more invitations. Please review and let me know. Thanks in advance.

Hi Muhammad Zeshan,

The beginning of your profile overview displays in prospective client search results and it’s your first 200-character pitch. So, your first sentence should include clear, relevant information about your primary skill sets and expertise. To give a clear impression you’re the person the client wants to talk to, here are some additional tips for writing a great Overview.

Cheers,
Mike
889f468b
Community Member

Hey i want your help brother. Now i am facing a identity verfication problem. I haven't option in settings identity verification.

Hi Mazharul,

I checked and it doesn't look like you are required to complete any verification at the moment. The team will let you know if there is a need for any verification in the future.

Thank you.

Pradeep

Upwork
5dc72dd6
Community Member

Hello!

I really appreciate these tips to get going in Upwork. I've been exploring the platform for about a year and over the last month, I have committed to submitting at least 5 proposals per day. It can be discouraging to not get jobs, but I'm trying to find new ways of approaching proposals. 

riaz_patwary
Community Member

Thank you so much Mike

Hello

Could you please check my profile is visible to new clients. I was sending proposals but no response from clients, stopped getting orders.

Bought 150 connects but now 23 connects only balance by sending proposals, still no any response from new clients.

So please check is there are any problem with my account.

TIA

Amri

Could anyone reply to my post, please?

seoexpert_lipi
Community Member

Hello!

Thanks for your interest.

Please, Help me how I make a successful career on Upwork.

Also, I get my fast project in Upwork.

Please, reply to me.

Thank you.

It's been 2 years since I registered on this platform. I've purchased connects, used the monthly free connects also to submit proposals.
The problem is I don't get interviews, feedback and I've never been hired for any job.
Is the competition this huge? Really how long will it take to start getting jobs?
I really need some work.
Also my profile switched to private, am worried I might even lose my account before getting any job.

Hi Prince,

Your profile overview is short compared to the average. Upwork’s research shows clients see it as a positive signal if the profile is well written and comprehensive. Therefore, consider crafting your overview as a pitch to prospective clients. 

Cheers,
Mike

Hi Lipi,

The beginning of your profile overview displays in prospective client search results and it’s your first 200-character pitch. So, your first sentence should include clear, relevant information about your primary skill sets and expertise.  Right now, it starts with a greeting. Consider removing the greeting in order to potentially make better use of the space.

To give a clear impression you’re the person the client wants to talk to, here are some additional tips for writing a great Overview.

Cheers,
Mike
67904db8
Community Member

Mike, I am a new client user. Freelancers are responding to my invite. How do I communicate/message with them?

AndreaG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Jerry,

If you go to your Job Post and select the Review Proposals section you should see a Message button next to each freelancer's proposal. 

Here are some helpful articles on Reviewing Proposals and Interviewing Freelancers.

Hope this helps!

~Andrea
Upwork
18adde40
Community Member

Hello am new to upwork and didn't get any order yet i bid many proposals.can you help me get a contract please
MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Mary,

I reviewed at your profile and made some observations:

• Your profile is only 40% complete. Review this article for guidance on how to create a 100% complete profile. Your profile must be 100% complete in order to qualify for programs such as Rising Talent and Top Rated.
  • You only have three skill tags, but are allowed up to 15. Add additional skill tags to showcase your expertise & help you show up in relevant search results.

To give a clear impression you’re the person the client wants to talk to, here are some additional tips for writing a great Overview.

Cheers,
Mike

Any advice for being successful on Upwork? Failed multiple times with no clients. Just got only one client and nothing after that. 

11c44139
Community Member

Hello Mike,

Thanks for the work you do. I have completed my profile a 100% and sent out 4 proposals as of today. I would appreciate if you could take the time to look through my profile and give your experienced feedback on how to make it better and get my profile viewed. My stats say my profile was discovered 0 times. Thanks again. Hope to hear from you soon.

MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Jennifer,

Great work getting your profile 100% complete. That's essential to earn Rising Talent or Top Rated badges. Your profile is off to a good start, but the profile overview is short compared to the average. Upwork’s research shows clients see it as a positive signal if the profile is well written and comprehensive. Therefore, consider crafting your overview as a pitch to prospective clients. 

Cheers,
Mike

Many thanks Mike. I will work on your suggestions and come back to you. Thanks

For a ongoing project i keept my profile privet becouse i was very busy. it was around 1 year 

the project is end and i put my account public but its been almost 1 month i am not getting any profile views and any invitatios 

can anyone suggest me what to do to keep my profile  running again

thank you 

Hi Syed Yousuf, 

You can talk to Upwork support

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths