🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » US Citizen, Moved to Europe as a Minor. Help ...
Page options
nataliereneee
Community Member

US Citizen, Moved to Europe as a Minor. Help with Tax Information?

Hi Upwork community!

I am new to Upwork and trying to get my head around how to set up my tax status on my profile.

I am a US citizen who left the US at the age of 16. I moved to Denmark where I currently reside, and I have never worked in the US nor have any connection to the US besides friends who live there. Therefore, I have never had to file taxes in the US. Do I indicate myself as a U.S.-person or non U.S.-person? Any help would be much appreciated!

Best,

Natalie P.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

You need to check the State Department or similar website.  If you are a non-resident US citizen, you may still be required to pay US taxes.  I have a friend in Australia who has lived there 20+ years, has dual citizenship, and pays taxes in both countries.  IRS website might be helpful as well.  Don't take advice from other freelancers.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
prestonhunter
Community Member

non-U.S. person

You need to check the State Department or similar website.  If you are a non-resident US citizen, you may still be required to pay US taxes.  I have a friend in Australia who has lived there 20+ years, has dual citizenship, and pays taxes in both countries.  IRS website might be helpful as well.  Don't take advice from other freelancers.

Thank you, Mary! I will look into this. I don't want to file anything incorrectly and run into problems later down the line. Have a great weekend!

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths