🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Unresponsive client
Page options
bluesilence12
Community Member

Unresponsive client

Hi,
I have been working with this client on a milestone basis. I have submitted the first part of the job and she said she loved it and asked for some more changes. But after that became unresponsive. I haven’t completed the project and the final files are not released. I’d like to know what I need to do at this stage?
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
NikolaS

Hi Sara,

If you are working with a client and they become unresponsive for a long period of time, it may be best to stop working on the project and wait for contact from the client. In some cases, you may also reach out to Upwork to contact the client on your behalf.

On a fixed-price contract, ending the contract forfeits any funds remaining in escrow. Instead, it is often best to complete your last milestone before you end the contract. If your client fails to respond to your submission, funds will be automatically released after 14 days. If they respond but refuse the work and you believe you have completed the work according to the agreed terms, you have the option to file a dispute.

You can find more information in this help article

~ Nikola
Upwork

View solution in original post

232 REPLIES 232

Hi Irbaz,

Thank you for reaching out to us. When a client becomes unresponsive and the contract has been idle for a while, we suggest that you stop working on the contract and communicate with the client whether further work is needed. This is so both of you are on the same page when you end the contract. 

Even if the client's account is suspended, you can end the contract but please know that clients can still leave public and private feedback which has a direct impact on your JSS. You may get in touch with your client to give them a heads up and end the contract on a positive note.

~ AJ
Upwork
monir1122
Community Member

I have already submitted my milestone by project on dated 22/09/22. But unfortunately until now client unresponsive and didn't release payment. What should I do now?

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Wait. Funds will be released after 14 days from last milestone submittion.

Hi Md Monir,

Thank you for reaching out to us. When a client becomes unresponsive and the contract has been idle for a while, we suggest that you stop working on the contract and communicate with the client whether further work is needed. This is so both of you are on the same page when you end the contract. 

On a fixed-price contract, ending the contract forfeits any funds remaining in escrow. Instead, it is often best to complete your last milestone before you end the contract. Generally, if your client fails to respond to your submission, funds will be automatically released after 14 days. If they respond but refuse the work and you believe you have completed the work according to the agreed terms, you have the option to file a dispute.

You can find more information in this help article

~ AJ
Upwork
6fa713e5
Community Member

The best way is to only accept those clients who put the full amount in escrow. In that case, even if the client gets unresponsive, upwork would pay you the escrow amount on the 15th day. 

87a70ecb
Community Member

Hi, I worked for a client who like the job, and the payment was protected. then he disappeared after a while and he is not responding. I have waited 14 days now and the payment is yet to be released to me. Please what can be done

Check under Overview. Has the payment moved from the 'In review' section to the 'Pending' section?

Once payment moves to the Pending section, it will be available to you in 5 days.

ask to upwork support they will help you better than us

Hi Moses,

On a fixed-price contract, ending the contract forfeits any funds remaining in escrow. Instead, it is often best to complete your last milestone before you end the contract. Generally, if your client fails to respond to your submission, funds will be automatically released after 14 days. If they respond but refuse the work and you believe you have completed the work according to the agreed terms, you have the option to file a dispute.

~ AJ
Upwork
6be34f82
Community Member

Hey i hope you are fine 🙂

My client has been offline for 6 days I sent the graphic design he wanted, but he has been offline for a long time

I want the money in escrow to be credited to my account

Thank you 🙂

- Ayhan K

Did you submit your work with the Submit work for payment button?

Hi Ayhan,

~ AJ
Upwork
63b24457
Community Member

i submitted my work on NOV-7 and as today (NOV-9) it been two days and the client wasn't replying to my message and the contract is still left open, and suddenly today morning he said that

Client said: Hello osman I cant access the payment right now because of some changes in the setting made by the senior manager. But i already tell him. Sorry for the delay and i will update you soon about that.

and don't know wheter to believe him or not think I got scammed in my first day.

Hi Osman,

While we hope that all freelancer and client relationships and projects will run smoothly, we understand that occasionally you may have a disagreement with a client about the work you submitted and your payments. We encourage you to always try to work things out with your client first. However, if you do need to take further steps, we created Upwork Fixed-Price Protection to allow freelancers and agencies to file disputes under these two circumstances:

1. A client ends the job with an escrow balance
  2. A client fails to release a milestone payment despite the delivery of work

You can check this article for more information.

~ AJ
Upwork
zeus0721
Community Member

Hi!

My client did not respond after my work finished. It's a fixed-price contract with 2 milestones. First milestone was paid, but the second milestone client didn't activate.

Client does not respond during 2 weeks.

All my work was completed 3 weeks ago and the website that I developed is now on the client's server.

Help me please with advice. What should I do? This is the first with me.

Thanks!

a866a96f
Community Member

I started an hourly contract some time ago with a client that needed some copywriting. He would give me a writing to correct and I'd send him the improved version. We were working normally this way when suddenly, after I sended him one of my works, he just stopped answering. I waited some time and wrote to him to know if he was still there and nothing. 

What should I do? Just keep the contract open and keep waiting for eternity, or just close the contract?
He paid me for my work as it was an hourly paid job, and was very kind so there were no problems. He just stopped answering from one moment to another. 

Hi Santiago,

Thank you for reaching out. I'm sorry to learn about this disappointing experience. However, please note that your client may have times when they do not respond or communicate as quickly as usual for many reasons — busy on several projects, technical issues, a family emergency, etc. If you are working with a client and they become unresponsive for a long period of time, you may want to stop working on the project and wait for a response.

On an hourly contract, you have the option to end your contract with an Unresponsive Client. We will invoice the hours that you already logged as usual, but you shouldn’t expect any other further payment on the ended contract. Even if your client fails to pay you for the hours you invoiced, you will still be paid if you are eligible for Upwork Hourly Protection.

~ Arjay
Upwork
arunasalman
Community Member

Hello, 

I would like to know, what happens if a client from Direct Contracts becomes unresponsive?

I have completed half of the work. I have to recieve the other half of the files to complete the work but the client had a death in the family and they did inform me about it. But that like a month agao and we corresponded a bit after that but she has not replied to my 2 emails reminding her that she has to send me the files. I also mentioned that the contract will expire. 

SO what do I do now?

Thank you and have a lovely day!

Aruna

I am also new here waiting for some suggestions from the mentors. all the best!

Hi Aruna,

Thank you for reaching out. If you are working with a client and they become unresponsive for a long period of time, it may be best to stop working on the project and wait for contact from the client. You can also contact them to confirm if they still need you for the project and if not, you can already end the contract. 

~ AJ
Upwork

Yes, but this was a direct contract and when it expires I will not have received payment for the work I had done. 

Thank you for your input, anyhow, this issue has been resolved, the client responded and we were able to complete the project.

Have a good day!

7a1540ae
Community Member

hello

i am claude , am new to upwork , and i got my first contract and am really happy for that, but i have a problem , it has ben 2 week and my clien is not saying a thing and he is not giving me things to do am just waiting,   any advice?

Hi Cyubahiro,

If you are working with a client and they become unresponsive for a long period of time, it may be best to stop working on the project and wait for contact from the client. In some cases, you may also reach out to Upwork to contact the client on your behalf.

On a fixed-price contract, ending the contract forfeits any funds remaining in escrow. Instead, it is often best to complete your last milestone before you end the contract. If your client fails to respond to your submission, funds will be automatically released after 14 days. If they respond but refuse the work and you believe you have completed the work according to the agreed terms, you have the option to file a dispute.

~ AJ
Upwork
j0ny_islam
Community Member

Hi, I have completed my work, But I have not received the payment.

My client is not responding to my messages.

How do I receive my payments?

Please help me.

Thank.you

You have come to the right place! wait for the moderators! They will help you out! don't worry about your payments! Upwork is a very secure platform!

Thank you... I am waiting for a best solution

Hi Hashebul,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I checked on this and it looks like you worked on a contract that was not funded. Your option is to contact the client and ask for payment.

Moving forward, we highly recommend not working on a project that isn't funded yet. If a fixed-price contract is funded, you can submit your work even if the client is unresponsive. Fourteen days after submission, if the client doesn't take action, the payment will be automatically released.

~ AJ
Upwork
mahmud_sup
Community Member

Hello there!

Good day. 

Wish you are in good health.

Suddenly I got an invite with job offer from a client. I accepted his offer. But after that he did not response. 

What should I do? 

Besides can you have a quick look on my profile and critize me for some improvements. I would love to hear from you. 

Thanks.

Md Al Mahmud Hossain Al Hadi

Nothing 

Hi Md Al Mahmud,

~ AJ
Upwork
98a2f192
Community Member

Hello everyone, It has been two weeks my client is not replying he comes online and goes offline and doesnt reply to me, i completed his project submitted all the files and he loved my work he asked for a few changes and I provided him with them too and ever since he is not replying or approving my payment. Please help me out here, what to do?
it was 100$ project. 

Click Submit.

Do NOTHING.

Get paid automatically (after 14 days).

Do i end contract or just wait for 14days

3fee0f62
Community Member

My client is not responding for almost a month now, what should I do? i have completed two milestones and get payment, the third milestone is active but i haven't completed it because the client is not responding, he provides me with the script, now work half of that. what i do now, he is my second client, is that problem in my jss? i cannot understand what should i do. please give me the proper solution.

thank you.

It is not a problem for JSS a while opened. Able to wait? So keep it as-is.

3fee0f62
Community Member

may i submit my work but i didn't complete the work, what should i do?

Hi Suaib,

We do not recommend submitting work for payment in case the work is not complete as this may lead to confusion and possible bad impression with the client. Please make sure that you have completed all the requirements and checked your work for errors before requesting payment. This will help you maintain a good reputation and avoid any disputes or revisions. 

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork
3fee0f62
Community Member

38 days left but the client didn't respond.

kurt_yocum
Community Member

I received a decent contract from a client but when I asked for some spec details, I received no response and it's been several hours. I'd love to accept the contract and just get started but I'd hate to get deep in and find out that they can't use my designs. This isn't the first client who has taken their time to get back to me. I understand that everyone is busy, but for the designer - it's like life or death. Heaven forbid we don't respond to a question within 30 secs. I have no problem multi-tasking, but one of the bargaining chips is how fast we can turn a design around. If they pull the contract because I didn't accept it yet, that'll be a big punch in the groin. Is this client behavior normal?

Yes, this is common here.

Client not must answer you within 10 min, or day. No limits here. 

So your choice, wait or reject contract and forgot.

Some clients think that you are slave and must serve master 24\7 asap as needed. But it is not a true, it is partnership. Will you keep in partners someone who don't respect you?

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths