🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Winning jobs.
Page options
df66085a
Community Member

Winning jobs.

Please I need some advice on how to win jobs.
I have sent in a few proposals without a response.

Thank you.
--Tobenna

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
david07046
Community Member

To start, read the job proposal very carefully.  Then tailor your reply to the client's point of view. 

In other words, you've got to show that you are able to speak the client's language, and present yourself in terms that the client will both understand and appreciate. 

Or, said in another way, you've got to show the client that you know what you're doing and have the kind of:  education, talent, and ability that they are looking for. 

In my own experience if you're getting one reply expressing interest for every, say, five proposals you send out, well, that's about right; and you're doing well.  

Remember not to take rejection personally. Sometimes the price just isn't right, or, perhaps, another freelancer was simply luckier than you this time around! 

When you do land that first big job make sure you do it well, and meet your deadline - Always meet your deadline!  

All of which reminds me there are jobs and clients out there that really aren't worth becoming involved with. 

Learn how to look for the good jobs, the ones with guaranteed payment; the ones where both the proposal, and the offer make sense.   

In my own years with Upwork I've become involved with both:  the good, the bad, and the ugly. 

Happily, though, both the percentages and the remuneration always seemed to work out right in the end.  

Best of luck to you!  

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
ahmadatieh00
Community Member

Hello,

You can create professional proposals by:

1) Reading the job description carefully and making sure you understand the task perfectly.

2) Including the time/specifications you think are important for the project.

3) Introducing yourself and mention some of your past experiences related to the task you are applying for.

4) Think of a way to stand out from the crowd and be unique.

5) Be punctual and have a great eye to details.

If you follow the steps listed, you will create winning proposals here on Upwork.

Hope this helps you.

Very insightful.

Thank you Ahmad

ae996cee
Community Member

Several YouTube videos are answering your question that can really help. The first job I got was for a small amount of money. Maybe the first five jobs will not earn you enough, but you need reviews at the beginning.

When I write a cover letter, I always start with potential benefits for a client. In the end, I add recent work and my expertise. Show them how you can help and why they should choose you.

Do not apply for jobs with the unverified payment method.

Initially, accept jobs with a fixed payment amount and later get paid per hour. When you work for a fixed amount, the client may over-demand and harass you, knowing that he may ruin your reputation with a bad review.

Don't give up. Sometimes, even with dozens of reviews, I apply to 20 or more jobs before landing a contract.

And always check the client's history. Do not apply to jobs if a client has a bad reputation.

Good luck 🙂

Thank you Natasa. Very helpful 

Thank you  Natasa, it will help me a lot.

naturexalt
Community Member

Hi Tobenna! 👋

To win a job, you need to stand out from the competition. The best way to do that is to write a good cover letter that is tailored for your specific client. It should answer their exact problem and be not just about you, but about them and how you can help them with their task. Show some good work you've done before that corresponds to their requirements and make sure to keep it concise and straight to the point.☝️

Learning how to write a cover letter is very important since that is what separates you from the crowd, so make sure you do it right. Also, try to only respond to the fresh job postings that are still seeking for that one freelancer. 😉

Good luck on your journey!🤞

Thank you Bohdan

hedaya-fawzy
Community Member

Hello Tobenna,

Welcome to Upwork!
Hope you win your first job soon,

There's some stuff that you have to ensure you're following
1- your profile Picture should be a professional-looking photo showing
- show eye contact
- be friendly to gain client trust
- high-quality photo
- Solid color BG

2- Overview, talking about your skills and expertise in a few short 3-4 paragraphs.

3- The proposal should contain some of these points
- Customized Geeting
- Human Connection
- Value you are adding
- Relevant question
- Job description hijacking
- Timeline and Availability
- CTA " call to action"

Thank you for these points.

david07046
Community Member

To start, read the job proposal very carefully.  Then tailor your reply to the client's point of view. 

In other words, you've got to show that you are able to speak the client's language, and present yourself in terms that the client will both understand and appreciate. 

Or, said in another way, you've got to show the client that you know what you're doing and have the kind of:  education, talent, and ability that they are looking for. 

In my own experience if you're getting one reply expressing interest for every, say, five proposals you send out, well, that's about right; and you're doing well.  

Remember not to take rejection personally. Sometimes the price just isn't right, or, perhaps, another freelancer was simply luckier than you this time around! 

When you do land that first big job make sure you do it well, and meet your deadline - Always meet your deadline!  

All of which reminds me there are jobs and clients out there that really aren't worth becoming involved with. 

Learn how to look for the good jobs, the ones with guaranteed payment; the ones where both the proposal, and the offer make sense.   

In my own years with Upwork I've become involved with both:  the good, the bad, and the ugly. 

Happily, though, both the percentages and the remuneration always seemed to work out right in the end.  

Best of luck to you!  

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths