🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » being scammed by freelancer
Page options
3960b470
Community Member

being scammed by freelancer

I've posted a job, and found a freelancer. (develop an android app)

He asked to split the  fixed priced job into 3 milestones. 

When he finished the first part (front) he asked for the money, and I released that, but since that he just cannot finish the job, and I pretty sure he doesn't know how to do it.

The thing is, the job he'd already done is useless without the code, and it's been a long time he'd already started that.

I opened a dispute, but upwork said there's nothing they can do,  that I should have not release the money if I was not happy with it... but how could I know he would not finish the job?

I feel so scammed, and I feel upwork have freelancers back, but they just do nothing to help clients... this is a free land to scammers

What should I do?

2 REPLIES 2
prestonhunter
Community Member

Fabio, I am sorry that you feel you were scammed.

If you truly want to create substantial projects on Upwork, or anywhere else, you can only succeed if you handle them in a modular fashion.

You should not assume that a single individual will do all of the work that needs to be done.

Hire freelancers to create the individual modules or steps which are needed to accomplish the complete goal. If a freelancer has completed one step, then something of value has been accomplished. Combine that with the other modules or steps completed by other members of your team.

If necessary, hire an independent project manager who can manage the project, assign tasks to freelancers, review their work, etc.

Filing disputes does nothing to forward your goals. Android mobile apps are not created by disputes.

AleksandarD
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Fabio,

I'm sorry to hear about what happened. I followed up with the team and you can expect an update on your support ticket very soon.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths