🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » questions
Page options
its_sheng10
Community Member

questions

Dear Upwork, 

I applied for a job as data encoder, the employer ask me to message their Administrator for an interview. after the interview they qualified me for the said position. I was confuse so I asked additional question to the employer after the job offer. Then later on, they advise me to complete the requirements and I need to pay 35 euro so I was confuse.  Upon checking my upwork account they decline my application. When I ask the employer I need to clarify the issue about paying 35 euro He said that no nedd to talked to some one and it is not about upwork? it is country law?What does it mean? in that case, the employer didn't understand my situation that I need also to learn their culture and law also. The employer is eager to do the requirements ASAP, I dont have a choice so I decline the offer after i found out that they decline my proposal on upwork. Upwork notify me that the proposal I've sent to the emploer was declined.   I feel sorry that I get him mad, it is not my intension.  I need some advise or tips about this situation.  

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
craiggabriel
Community Member

@Hershey S wrote:

Then later on, they advise me to complete the requirements and I need to pay 35 euro so I was confuse...What does it mean?

It means there is no "employer." A crook posted a fake job to see how many people he could get to send him money.

Don't send money to strangers on the Internet.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
craiggabriel
Community Member

@Hershey S wrote:

Then later on, they advise me to complete the requirements and I need to pay 35 euro so I was confuse...What does it mean?

It means there is no "employer." A crook posted a fake job to see how many people he could get to send him money.

Don't send money to strangers on the Internet.

Thanks for the response. Do I need to report that case to upwork? I safe now. I thought it will affect my upwork profile by refusing their offer.

When they sent you the message saying your proposal was "declined" that probably meant your proposal couldn't be accepted because they had already identified the post as a scam and deleted it. If not and the job still exists, a moderator will be along shortly to follow up with you if necessary.

Thanks for the info sir. Big Help for the newbie like me 🙂

In that case all transaction and conversation by the employer should be done here at upwork ? 

Thanks for the info sir. Big Help for the newbie like me. Smiley Happy  In that case all transaction and conversation by the employer should be done here at upwork ? 

All payment has to be through Upwork or you'll have your account permanently closed.

Communication outside of Upwork is allowed, but most of the time it's safer to keep it on Upwork, especially when you're new and people might be trying to trick you.

I'm searching for a job now. How would I now that the job/employer is legit?

Thanks in advance. 

Hi Hershey,

Please send me the job posting link via PM(click on my name).

Keep in mind that you don`t have to pay anything in order to work on a project. You should check if the clients payment method is verified and be hired on a official contract.
I can advise you to check out this thread where you can find all of the information needed about getting started here. I would suggest to spend extra time on the Safety First section in order to learn how to protect yourself. If you have any additional questions fell free to post them here.

~ Goran
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths