🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » what happen if I end a job, can the customer...
Page options
fileonline
Community Member

what happen if I end a job, can the customer rate my work

I am new to upwork, and i have a question about this scenario which we might face:-

1) let say i apply for a job
2) and the customer send me an offer and i accept it.
3) then after some meeting and starting the work >> i realize that the customer was not clear about the scope and the project start to be out of my expertise
4) so i decide to end the contract.

my questions are :-
1) will this affect my rating?
2) can the customer rate my profile if i chose to end the contract?
3) Is there a way to report a customer feedback to upwork, and mention that the feedback does not reflect the reason why i ended the project? or can i delete a customer feedback?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
lysis10
Community Member

A good rule of thumb is if you click the accept button, it affects your jss in some way so make sure you have what you need to get some money out of the contract.

@Jennifer M can you advice more on your reply? what do you exactly mean? for example what do you mean by jss?

Thanks

JSS is your job score. You can read about it in upwork's docs. If you open a contract with a client, they can rate you so when you click accept on an offer they can rate you so it affects your rating.

colettelewis
Community Member

John J wrote:

I am new to upwork, and i have a question about this scenario which we might face:-
[...] so i decide to end the contract.
my questions are :-

1) will this affect my rating?

It will affect your rating if you end a contract without pay. 
2) can the customer rate my profile if i chose to end the contract?

Your profile doesn't get rated, the work you do does. It depends on the contract, whether it is hourly (tracked or manual) or fixed-price - plenty of help articles in Upwork's help section and the ToS. I suggest you read them. 
3) Is there a way to report a customer feedback to upwork, and mention that the feedback does not reflect the reason why i ended the project? or can i delete a customer feedback?
Not unless you are top-rated and even then you can only do it every now and then, and there are drawbacks to using that perk. 

Also: If you end a fixed-price contract before you are paid, the money in in escrow will be sent back to the client. If you end an hourly tracked contract, unless the client disputes the amount paid within a week, you will be paid for the hours you have worked. If you end an hourly manual contract, you will not be paid for work done in that week. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths