🐈
» Forums » Support » Freelance plus subscription cancellation and ...
Page options
Dishant A Community Member

Freelance plus subscription cancellation and refund

My freelance plus subscription has been auto renewed. I don't want the subscription. I want to cancel it and initiate the refund process. But to my surprise, there's no way to contact upwork's coustomer support. Is there any way upwork's support can be reached? Is this the right channel to raise a request?
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Isuru H Community Member

Dear Pradeep,

I'm not complaining about the charge for the subscription, as it was my own oversight in failing to cancel the service before the next billing cycle began. Because I recognized Upwork as the best platform for freelancers, I didn’t scrutinize every detail. I might have subconsciously assumed that you wouldn’t charge me without my consent. Even if you did, I expected you to inform me in advance, allowing me reasonable time to make a decision, similar to how Canva operates as a reputable company.

The reason I am temporarily downgrading this service is not because it isn't worth the price but entirely due to the financial difficulties I am currently facing. I understand that $20 might be a small amount for some, perhaps even what you'd spend on a cup of tea, but for me, it's the money I've set aside to pay the annual service charge for my daughter's primary school. In fact, most government schools charge even less than $20.

Therefore, I kindly request a refund, as I canceled the subscription within an hour of activation without using any of the subscription features. I also informed you in this section, which was the only way I found to reach you.

Thank you very much for your kind consideration.

Sincerely,
Isuru Herath

View solution in original post

100 REPLIES 100
Goran V Retired Team Member

Hi Dishant,

One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and assist you further with your membership plan. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
Agha M Community Member

Hi There,

I have been charged  $14.99 for Membership fee (Subscription Renewal Charges).
Ref id 368044293

I never know that upwork will automatically take payment from my card.
And I never wanted to renew my subscription.

I don't want to get anymore connects.
And I don't want renewal of subscription.

I would request upwork team to refund me the $14.99 amount that has been taken from my bank.
Also they can take the connects from my account.
As I don;t want them.

Also I don't want any Paid subscription in future.
Please unsubscribe me & issue me refund on urgent base.

Thanks,
Agha Mahmood
Andrea G Community Manager

Hi Agha,

You can downgrade from Freelancer Plus to Freelancer Basic by:

Going to Settings > Memberships & Connects
Click the View or Edit Membership Plan
Click the Switch to Basic button on the Basic plan

Someone from our team will reach out to you via support ticket in order to assist you with your refund request.

~Andrea
Malak A Community Member

Hi Andrea 
Could you help me?
My Plus membership automatically renewed but
I want to cancel my membership and refund my money on Upwork

Arjay M Retired Team Member

Hi Malak,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist you further with your concern. Feel free to access your ticket and coordinate with the team on this page.

~ Arjay
Upwork
Khubaib K Community Member

Hi There,

I have been charged  $14.99 for Membership fee (Subscription Renewal Charges).
Ref id 586533706

I would request upwork team to refund me the $14.99 amount that has been taken from my bank.
As I don't want them.

Please  issue me refund on urgent base.
Annie Jane B Retired Team Member

Hi Khubaib,

Thank you for reaching out. I can see that you've already raised a support ticket regarding your concern. You can access your support tickets here. Note that support requests are responded to in the order they are received. Kindly allow 24-48 hours for the team to follow up with you and assist you further.

~ AJ
Upwork
Azan A Community Member

Hi There,

I have been charged $14.99 for Membership fee (Subscription Renewal Charges).

User Id 2aeec554

I never know that Upwork will automatically take payment from my card.

I would request Upwork team to refund me the $14.99 amount that has been taken from my bank.

Also, they can take the connects from my account.

As I don’t want them.

Also, I don't want any Paid subscription in future.

Please unsubscribe me & issue me refund on urgent base.

Thanks,

Azan A

Alif A Community Member

Hi There,

I have been charged $14.99 for Membership fee (Subscription Renewal Charges).
Ref id 586533706

I would request upwork team to refund me the $14.99 amount that has been taken from my bank.
As I don't want them.

Please issue me refund on urgent base.

Hi Alif,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ AJ
Upwork
Elvan V Community Member

Hi Elvan
Could you help me?
My Plus membership automatically renewed but
I want to cancel my membership and refund my money on Upwork

please this Ref Id  606556591 money back , 

ı coundt reach anywhere

Hi Elvan,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ AJ
Upwork
Isuru H Community Member

Hi Annie Jane B,

I was charged for the Freelancer Plus subscription without my intention. I was never informed that they're changing this fee automatically on monthly basis. 

So could you please help me to get refund the fee I charged without my concern. 

Thank you, 

Isuru Herath. 

Ayami M Community Member

Hello Andrea, can you please help me? 

I recently canceled my Freelance Plus subscription when I realized that I was charged for the past three months without my notice for the subscription.  Could I kindly request a refund for those charges? Thank you so much for your understanding and assistance.

Pradeep H Moderator

Hi Ayami,

I checked and it appears that the account you are posting from was created in July 2024. I can confirm that the Freelancer Plus plan was activated in the same month after registration and there is no Freelancer Plus charge for 3 months seen on your account. Could you please confirm if you are referring to the same account? 

- Pradeep

Ayami M Community Member

Hi Pradeep! Thank you for clarifying! I just found out I accidentally made two Upwork accounts, and yes, this account was made last July, and it took money from my bank account twice in this account, which I never used anyway. Is there any way I can get a refund for the unused account? Thank you so much!

Pradeep H Moderator

Thank you for sharing additional information, Ayami. Could you please click on my name above this post and send me a private message with the registered email address for the second Upwork account? 

- Pradeep

Ayami M Community Member

Hello Pradee! The private message you requested with the registered email address for the second account was already sent, thank you so much for the assistance!

Pradeep H Moderator

Thank you for sending a private message, Ayami. I will check and respond to your message as soon as possible. 

- Pradeep

Ayami M Community Member

Hello, Mr. Pradeep! I just want to know if there is any update regarding the assistance I previously sought on August 9, 2024 (Friday)? 

I have been waiting for an update and would appreciate it if you could provide any information on the current status. Your prompt response will be greatly appreciated as it will help me proceed with my plans.

Thank you for your attention to this matter!

Best Regards,

Ayami

Isuru H Community Member

Hi PradeepH,

I was charged for the Freelancer Plus subscription without my intention. I was never informed that they're changing this fee automatically on monthly basis. 

So could you please help me to get refund the fee I charged without my concern. Thank you so much for your assistance.

Isuru Herath. 

Sophie A Community Member

Here is the help article. It says the Plan is billed every month on the same date.

Freelancer Plus – Upwork Customer Service & Support | Upwork Help

Pradeep H Moderator

Hi Isuru,

Sophie is right! When you upgrade to the Freelancer Plus plan, you authorize Upwork to renew your plan every month and charge your billing method at the beginning of each billing cycle as seen here

To downgrade from Freelancer Plus to Freelancer Basic:

1. Go to Settings > Memberships & Connects
  2. Select Change Plan
  3. Choose the Switch to Basic button on the Basic plan

Remember, if you want to cancel your Freelancer Plus plan, you’ll need to do so before your renewal date, which begins at midnight UTC time. If you wait until the renewal date, you’ll be charged and your cancellation will not be effective until the following billing cycle.

- Pradeep

Isuru H Community Member

Dear Pradeep,

I'm not complaining about the charge for the subscription, as it was my own oversight in failing to cancel the service before the next billing cycle began. Because I recognized Upwork as the best platform for freelancers, I didn’t scrutinize every detail. I might have subconsciously assumed that you wouldn’t charge me without my consent. Even if you did, I expected you to inform me in advance, allowing me reasonable time to make a decision, similar to how Canva operates as a reputable company.

The reason I am temporarily downgrading this service is not because it isn't worth the price but entirely due to the financial difficulties I am currently facing. I understand that $20 might be a small amount for some, perhaps even what you'd spend on a cup of tea, but for me, it's the money I've set aside to pay the annual service charge for my daughter's primary school. In fact, most government schools charge even less than $20.

Therefore, I kindly request a refund, as I canceled the subscription within an hour of activation without using any of the subscription features. I also informed you in this section, which was the only way I found to reach you.

Thank you very much for your kind consideration.

Sincerely,
Isuru Herath

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths