🐈
» Forums » Support » Issue with milestone payment
Page options
Shahnewaz R Community Member

Issue with milestone payment

Hi, 

Sorry, my English is not good. 

I took a project from one of my clients. The budget was $350 and he created 2 milestones of each $175 and funded the full payment. But he only put $175 in escrow and he is not active for the last few days and I completed the project. Now I know that I can submit the work from the contract page to get the payment. But if I submit the work, I will get only payment for 1st milestone which is $175

1. How can I submit the work to get full payment? 
2. If I edit the milestone amount to $350 while submitting the work, will I get the full payment?

Thank you, 

- Shahnewaz

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Pradeep H Moderator

Hi Shahnewaz,

Thank you for contacting us. I understand your concern about the payment for your project. However, please note that the client can only fund the amount for the active milestone at a time and there is no option to fund the full amount in advance for multiple milestones.

I have reviewed the job you mentioned and I confirm that the client has funded $175 for the first milestone only. As I informed you earlier, if the client does not take any action within 14 days on the work you submitted for the first milestone, you will receive the payment for the first milestone only.

Thank you,

Pradeep

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Arkoprova T Community Member

I think the best approach would be to take a screen recording or host your project on your own server, then give a link to the client to review. And request him/her to approve the 1st milestone and activate the 2nd milestone. 

Iwan S Community Member

Submit the first milestone, do not submit the 2nd one until it is funded (and even that may be sketchy), Arkaprova's suggestion of sending a screenshot of the completed work without sharing the completed work  might work.  If you submit all the completed work under the first milestone there will be no incentive for the client to fund the second milestone, especially if they've gone quiet.

Thank you for your suggestion. But as you can see on my attached screenshot, I requested payment of $350 when submitting the work. But the milestone is $175 (active), and another is $175 but it's not active (funded). So I added the full payment of $350 on the first milestone (Requested amount). Will the requested amount will be added to my account after 14 days or will add just the milestone amount? Client is no longer available for the last 1 week. 

Arjay M Retired Team Member

Hi Shahnewaz,

Thank you for reaching out to us and raising this query. Your client places funds into escrow when they set up a milestone. When you submit deliverables and request to be paid, your client is able to review your work and direct us to release payment. Your client can choose to release the full amount, more, or less than the escrow deposit, or ask you for changes to the work product. Since the amount of the 1st milestone is $175, the client could fund the 2nd  milestone with the same amount for you to be paid the full amount of the project ($350).

It is important to know that before you start working on a milestone, your client will pre-fund the payment for that milestone into an escrow account. That said, only the money that's held in escrow is secure. We can't help you collect any funds that have been promised but not deposited into escrow.

Therefore, it's important that the amount held in escrow is appropriate for the work you will perform for that milestone. If your client deposits a smaller amount than agreed upon, do not begin work until they have deposited the full amount or you have renegotiated the price and work expectations. We suggest you coordinate with the client to discuss more information on how to complete the project and the payment. Feel free to check this help article to learn more about how to Get Paid for a Fixed Priced Contract.

~ Arjay
Upwork

Thank you for your suggestion. But as you can see on my attached screenshot, I requested payment of $350 when submitting the work. But the milestone is $175 (active), and another is $175 but it's not active (funded). So I added the full payment of $350 on the first milestone (Requested amount). Will the requested amount will be added to my account after 14 days or will add just the milestone amount? Client is no longer available for the last 1 week. 

Pradeep H Moderator

Hi Shahnewaz,

Thank you for your message. The funded amount in the milestone will be released to you in case the client does not respond to your work submission within 14 days.

Thank you,

Pradeep

The client funded the full amount ($350) and created two milestones each for $175. But I submit my work on the first milestone by editing the amount to $350 (Payment request). Will I get this requested amount, or I will get only the milestone amount?

Pradeep H Moderator

Hi Shahnewaz,

Thank you for contacting us. I understand your concern about the payment for your project. However, please note that the client can only fund the amount for the active milestone at a time and there is no option to fund the full amount in advance for multiple milestones.

I have reviewed the job you mentioned and I confirm that the client has funded $175 for the first milestone only. As I informed you earlier, if the client does not take any action within 14 days on the work you submitted for the first milestone, you will receive the payment for the first milestone only.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths