🐈
» Forums » Support » UK Location Verification - Unable to do
Page options
alilondon
Community Member

UK Location Verification - Unable to do

Hello, I have recently moved to the UK. I have a biometric residence permit but I do not have a British passport.

When I tried to upload my BRP, the following text is displayed:

"It looks like you uploaded an unsupported type of ID.Please try again with an image of your state issued U.K. driving licence or British passport."

How could I overcome this and successfully get my ID verified?

Thanks

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi TAI,

It looks like you're trying to apply to UK-only job posts. In order to apply for these, you must verify your location. If you encounter any issues while trying to verify your location, please know that you can reach out to our support team by clicking the 'Chat with Upwork' button on the Contact Support page.

If you'd prefer not to verify your location at this time, that's ok! Switch the feed you're looking at to My Feed and you can search and apply to job posts that are Worldwide.

~ Nikola
Upwork

View solution in original post

419 REPLIES 419
ArjayM
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Daphne,

I submitted a follow-up to the team handling the review of your account. One of the team members will reach out with more information and further assistance to resolve the issue with your location verification. Feel free to coordinate with the team; they'll gladly assist you accordingly.

~ Arjay
Upwork
be18aaea
Community Member

Thanks!

6e08c348
Community Member

Apologise for opening up this topic again. I am also experiencing ongoing issues with identity verification using my UK Biometric Residence Permit (BRP - valid until October 2025). Despite repeated submissions, I am continuously asked to resubmit my government-issued photo ID. The chatbot has not been helpful, and I have not found any details on how to contact the support team directly. Therefore, I am reaching out here for assistance.

Thank you. 

Hi Khanh,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will be reaching out to you.

~ Joanne
Upwork
e6d04776
Community Member

Have you tried contacting an immigration company? What do immigration lawyers say? if you need advice, tell me, I'll give you contact information

6ddfcc4c
Community Member

Hi 👋 

I need to verify my location, I'm Italian, living in London since 2020 , I've been asked to upload my bank statements or my bills but nothing is working. I wouldn't like to change the location to match my ID as I saw that that's an option . Can someone show some support? Thank you 🙏 

You must confirm current location but not where ID issued. Keep talking with support to know what document them need. Bank statements or bills should be applicable.

prer3
Community Member

Hello,

I had summited my Passport (Indian). I am on a graduate Visa in the UK so my Tax address is UK. Twice my verification failed even though I provided with e-visa once and bank statement the second time. I want to contact a person to solve this issue. Please let me know soon where I can get support. Please can someone reach out soon as I have a contract to submit in 4 days. 

Kind regards,

Prerna Kadam

Hi Prerna, 

Thank you for reaching out to us. I checked and it looks like one of our agents already reached out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your ticket on this page.

Feel free to communicate with our team directly on your ticket if you need further assistance. 

~ Nikola
Upwork
a573fcc1
Community Member

I am in need of advice, please help me with my issue.. I used my Nigerian passport to verify but it was rejected and they asked for a UK id but I don't know how to download it to the site. I have a UK residence permit though 

Emuobohwo,

You don't seem to understand how freelancing works. You don't seem to understand the basics. 

There's working for someone, defined as being an employee. Then there is freelancing. In many ways, these are opposite from a technical point of view. The work could be very similar, but the basic structure of freelancing is very different than the basic structure of being an employee.

The fun thing is this might not matter. You could get a freelance contract by blundering into it and no one would be the wiser. But if you want to rely on a freelancing style of work, you might want to figure out the basic parameters first.

Good luck. 

095c761a
Community Member

Hi

I am in the UK, not in the US, I cannot complete my regiustration as I am being asked for an American numbe. Will you please change the format of my international dialling code.

Thanks

Alex

Hi Alex,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
faisalsajid3
Community Member

Hi Upwork Support,

I recently travelled to UK and have been attempting to update my location for verification purposes. To facilitate this, I provided an official bank statement from my Wise account, downloaded directly from their online banking platform. Unfortunately, this document was not accepted, and I am unable to start working or place bids as a result.

Could you please clarify what specific issue prevented the acceptance of my bank statement, or guide me on how to resolve this problem? I am more than willing to provide further details or even allow you to access my bank account for direct verification if necessary.

Your prompt attention to this matter would be greatly appreciated, as it has been quite challenging to proceed with my work under these circumstances.

I've submitted a support ticket as well but still not able to verify location

Kindly verify the location from the statement i submitted

Thank you for your assistance

Best regards,

Faisal

faisalsajid3_0-1722940094081.png

Wise is an online banking platform where you can specify any address within their network. As such, it is not considered a valid form of legal location confirmation. There are numerous other documents that could be deemed eligible, but this statement is not one of them.

They verify your identity and location with documents then the bank account is fully functional able to produce statements, proceed transactions

Hi Faisal,

I checked and it seems that you already created a support ticket for the issue you are experiencing. Please allow more time for our team to review your case and respond accordingly to your ticket. You will be notified of their response.

~ Nikola
Upwork
78d09795
Community Member

Hi 

i have questions, i am living in Uk and my passport is indian but i uploaded  Indian passport as id proof which is verified but now my location documents not approved by upwork team even i have attached many documents which is showing UK address 

please let me know the solutions

thanks

Hi Kanwaljit,

I've shared your post with the relevant team and am pleased to inform you that your account has been verified. Please try to refresh your page or log out then log back in. 

~Ronna
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths