🐈
» Forums » Support » Upwork app bug or is this normal?
Page options
Lina K Community Member

Upwork app bug or is this normal?

I was working as usual today, using the app to autotrack the time. But when I checked the work diary I noticed I made over a few hundred keystrokes in a minute a few times. Which looks quite weird in the diary so I'm worried I may get in trouble over it.

How exactly does upwork track a keystroke? Do you have to click the keys for it to count as a keystroke or will holding a key down result in a high keystroke count?

I do hold down certain keys sometimes, but but I've never noticed the count go this high before.

Thanks for any answers in advance!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Valeria K Community Member

Manpreet, I've merged your comment into a thread where the same topic has been brought up before.

Lina and Manpreet,

There hasn't been any changes in the way Upwork Desktop app records keystrokes . Essentially, it detects every keystroke that is recorded by the OS as a keystroke. So if pressing and holding a key records it as multiple events by the OS (it typically does,) that's what would be recorded by the App as well.

~ Valeria
Upwork

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Arjay M Retired Team Member

Hi Lina,

The app logs your activity level by counting the number of mouse clicks, scroll actions, and keystrokes you make as well as receiving information from your operating system about whether you are active or not (useful for less “countable” activities). It also records the name of the application you’re using and its active window at the time of the snapshot, to your Work Diary. You can learn more about how we use the recorded and uploaded information in the Privacy Policy.

Can you please provide me the contract ID for the activity you're referring to? I'll be more than willing to take a closer look and assist accordingly. You can get the contract ID by going to All Contracts> Choose the contract in question> It should be under the details tab here

~ Arjay
Upwork
Lina K Community Member

Thanks for trying to help!

I sent you a private message with the contract ID if you'd like to take a closer look. But I think I mostly figured out the problem myself. I use keyboard arrow keys for that job, to move objects accurately across the screen. I checked the time when I use them (I hold the key down for a few seconds) and Upwork desktop app does count very high keyboard activity at those exact minutes.

Haven't noticed it happen with any other keys so I would assume it's some kind of bug with the Upwork app? Since once again, I regulary hold down keys like space or z for a few second and I haven't noticed same kind of activity happen.

Thanks again, let me know if I should report it as a bug or try to look into some solutions to fix it!

Manpreet S Community Member

Hi ,

I am facing this issue, when we press single key on keyboard and hold it count as multipleclicks. it show very higher value on the activity report. Please check the screenshot , i have only press single key for one mintue and it show mulitple key presses. Timing from 10:48 to 10:49. I use Unity3d for navigation throught scene i have to press CTRL and SHIFT sometime.

Annie Jane B Retired Team Member

Hi Manpreet,

Thank you for reporting this to us. Could you please share what OS you're using so I include it in my report?

~ AJ
Upwork
Manpreet S Community Member

OS Name Microsoft Windows 11 Home Single Language
Version 10.0.22000 Build 22000

Annie Jane B Retired Team Member

Hi Manpreet,

Thank you for providing this information. I'll share it with the appropriate team for checking.

~ AJ
Upwork
Valeria K Community Member

Manpreet, I've merged your comment into a thread where the same topic has been brought up before.

Lina and Manpreet,

There hasn't been any changes in the way Upwork Desktop app records keystrokes . Essentially, it detects every keystroke that is recorded by the OS as a keystroke. So if pressing and holding a key records it as multiple events by the OS (it typically does,) that's what would be recorded by the App as well.

~ Valeria
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths