🐈
» Forums » Support » Upwork's TAX ID
Page options
Michelle Ann O Community Member

Upwork's TAX ID

I would like to ask for Upwork's Tax ID number? I need it for Tax purposes. Thank you

5 REPLIES 5
Pradeep H Moderator

Hi Michelle,

Thank you for your message. Upwork's Tax ID is FEIN: 13-4241242.

- Pradeep

Michelle Ann O Community Member

Thank you for the response, Pradeep.

Lisa J Community Member

Hello, ProdeepH,

Thank you for this information.  Is there a way to obtain a completed and signed form W-9 showing Upwork's tax identification number and tax classification for our records?  As a client who has paid Upwork for freelance work,  we should technically have this information on file. Thank you!

Joanne P Moderator

Hi Lisa,

If you classify your freelancer as an independent contractor, you don’t need to file a Form 1099 for your payments to them through Upwork. All freelancers submit their tax information for Form W-9 (U.S.-taxpayer) or Form W-8BEN (non U.S.-taxpayer) to Upwork, and we file a Form 1099-K for them when applicable — which applies to freelancers who are U.S. Persons and receive at least $20,000 through Upwork in a year with at least 200 transactions. That $20,000 is a total gross amount of all the freelancer’s contracts. You can find more information here

~ Joanne
Upwork
Lisa J Community Member

Hello, Joanne P - I very much appreciate your response. It was not my intention to file a 1099 to the freelancer we used through Upwork, since we did not make payments to him. We made the payments to Upwork. Since our business paid more than $600 for services, we would be required to report those payments to Upwork on a Form 1099-NEC, unless Upwork is a corporation. I saw on some of the invoices that the name of the organization was "Upwork Global, Inc." so I just wanted to obtain the required evidence that Upwork is a corporation, since if that is the case, our company needn't report the payments at all. A completed and signed form W-9 from the payee, Upwork, would provide that information (see Box 3a of the attached blank W-9 for classification of the entity) and the matter would be closed. Would it be possible to obtain a completed and signed W-9 from Upwork?

Thanks again for addressing this.

Lisa J
Latest Articles
Upcoming Events
Oct 17
Product Updates
Product Event English
Featured Topics
Learning Paths