🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » possible False dispute by client
Page options
mattvetter25
Community Member

possible False dispute by client

Dear Upwork Support,

I am writing to address a recent development regarding the contract between myself and one of my clients on Upwork. The client has paused our contract, citing reasons related to unauthorized billing and overbilling, which I believe may be inaccurate and potentially in violation of Upwork's policies.

Upon review of the client's reasons for pausing the contract, it appears that they have alleged Freelancer billed me without my permission and Freelancer overbilled me on my part. However, these claims are unfounded and contradicted by our previous interactions and the nature of our working relationship.

Throughout our collaboration, there have been no disputes or issues regarding billing practices, and I have consistently followed the agreed-upon processes without deviation. It was a 3 month contract and it was never discussed in my contract on when I had to add the videos in their folder, I worked on from the previous week. It's a video editing project and we are working with over 200+ video files so I explained to them it's easier for organizational purposes to do half first or a large selection of the videos first, then post them at once, which he even agreed was a good idea in the messages, but still made the false dispute.

Furthermore, the client's decision to pause the contract seems to stem from a misunderstanding or miscommunication regarding the flexibility of our working arrangement. The position was intended to be part-time over a period of three months, allowing for a flexible schedule and workflow. There were no explicit deadlines communicated for when videos needed to be uploaded each week. I encountered unforeseen circumstances on the day in question, and out of nowhere it resulted in him (in my emotions) threatening me to pause the contract out of nowhere even when this is not mentioned in our contract at all when videos have to be uploaded. This did not warrant the extreme action of pausing the contract.

I believe the two reasons he gave me for pausing the contract were untrue based on the following:

1. "Freelancer billed me without my permission": This claim suggests that the client believes they were charged for services without their explicit consent. However, the subsequent communication between the client and the freelancer indicates ongoing engagement in the project, including discussions about additional video uploads. If the client genuinely believed they were billed without permission, it would be contradictory for them to continue working with the freelancer without addressing or disputing the alleged unauthorized charges.

2. "Freelancer overbilled me": This claim implies that the client feels they were charged an excessive amount for the services provided by the freelancer. Similar to the previous claim, if the client believed they were overbilled, it would be inconsistent for them to request additional work without first addressing or resolving the billing discrepancy. Additionally, the client's willingness to continue the contract and receive further work from the freelancer contradicts the assertion of overbilling, as it suggests that they find value in the services being provided. I urge Upwork to take appropriate action if the client's reasons for pausing the contract are found to be unfounded or in violation of platform policies. I told the client I would be sending him the remaining videos today and will be concluding the contract, then he paused it by lying possibly.

In addition, I am concerned that the client's actions may potentially constitute deceptive business practices under Illinois law. The contradictory claims regarding billing issues raise questions about the integrity of the client's conduct. I believe it is important to address these concerns to ensure fair and transparent business practices on the platform. I know you can't get into legal matters, but I can take care of that part, I just worry that it may be a breach in your terms of service since there was a possibly lie in his dispute he made that might impact me finacially.

Thank you for your attention to this matter. I appreciate your assistance in resolving this issue swiftly and fairly.

Sincerely,

Matt Vetter

6 REPLIES 6
spectralua
Community Member

No violation here. Client able to pause contact at any time he want. Client able to close contract at any time he want. Job already done will be paid, nothing else. All within rules. You have no reasons to claim or involve Upwork for now.

Upwork dont care about business practices and your expectations, sorry.

When dispute started (if started) follow procedure. But dont rush for a while. Talk with client to reach agreement and continue works.

p.s. I do not represent Upwork Support.

You're 100% correct. Clients are 100% able to pause contacts at any time they want. However, the client possibly did it because of retailing of me asking for their business location to do a complaint and Upwork's terms of service says: Retaliation occurs when an adverse action is taken against someone for (i) reporting a concern about a violation or suspected violation of Upwork policy. On top of that, they potentially lied about the reasons of the dispute and also left a review saying I def didn't live in the United States and that I was using a VPN and called me a criminal. The only thing I have outside communication is my profile picture and I believe he made that claim off of my skin color and also slandered my name calling me a criminal.

For hourly contract client able to dispute only last "under review" week but not whole project scope. Thats all.

I think that client just found someone else and want to forward job. But he able to do it without any dummy complaints and reasons.

You can remove feedback with your Toprated perk.

I had no idea that was a thing! Thanks for letting me know. I just wish upwork staff looked into these situations because I doubt I'm the first person this has happened to and it's like almost impossible to get a hold of staff.

erinvega2016
Community Member

OMG, I just spent an hour of my life reading this post. What exactly is your question? 

If the client is requesting a refund? If so you should probably head over to your dispute inbox and make noise.

I was just trying to get a worker from upwork to contact me. I had an issue with a client where they possibly threatened to pause my contract. I know they 100% have the right to pause the contract, but the way in which it was done may be a threat. I know upwork doesn't get involed with legal recorse, but they also possibly violated upwork's policies, which is why I wrote this trying to get a support memeber to reach out to me.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members