🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Scammers are here using Upwork!
Page options
cjlee2018
Community Member

Scammers are here using Upwork!

• Hi, I just responded to a project, it's a guy named **edited for Community Guidelines**, saying that he runs a gold mine using both Chinese and Guanians (which I as a Chinese businessman have never heard of such gold mine) and he wants some documents be translated from English to Chinese. Then he asked me to contact his "secretary" and another guy who is an "associted publisher" named **edited for Community Guidelines** (whose name card says he is associated with Google, but I don't believe it for a second), and then he asked me to download Telegram and contact him directly outside of Upwork, which I was very skeptical but I did. Then he sent me two images of documents which had 4 "projects". He said they are going to pay me over 1,400 dollars for the job. But in order to receive the job, he asked me to send them 50 dollars first as "insurance ". Then I know immediately that he's a crook and scammer! Be careful, you guys!!! 
6 REPLIES 6
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi CJ, 

If you haven't already, please report this client so that it goes to the team's queue for their review. 

As a gentle reminder, please know that communicating outside of Upwork before a contract has started is not allowed. I highly recommend that you read up on the "Safety First!" section of the freelancer resources we have compiled, and these tips for avoiding questionable jobs for more information about working safely through Upwork.

It would also be best to visit these articles for more information on how you can keep in line with Upwork's Terms of Service when engaging on the website:

~ Avery
Upwork
e94d8551
Community Member

Yes I almost just got scammed here. This is scaring me. I'm leaving this place. There is no way to report this. 

Hi Ana! I have replied to your inquiry as a fellow freelancer myself 😊

iamejbioneda
Community Member

Hi Ana!

I have been on Upwork since 2012 -- back during its early days. As far as I'm concerned, I have never been scammed by any sort of client because I've been very vigilant as a freelancer. I always look for the "red flags" before sending any connects and proposals. By red flags, I mean these:

• Is the client payment method verified? You may apply for the job, but make sure not to do any work until you accept an offer and the client verifies their payment.
  • Check the client ratings thru the job ad posted. When you click on the job post, scroll below and see all of the past feedbacks by previous freelancers who worked for the client. See if there are bad ratings.
  • How much has the client spent here on Upwork itself? You can check this by clicking the job post again and scrolling below -- you'll see an "About The Client" section on the right corner of the page.

Remember, it is always up to the freelancer to be vigilant. Of course, scammers are everywhere, but there are legitimate job postings, too. You just have to work on your job hunting skills more.

Hope my tips helps you!

Elonah

atlinguist
Community Member

Well done for not enterning into a business contract with this person!!! And thank you for warning us. 

Stay safe, sane ... and always read the small print. And don't expect to have to download any software BEFORE you have a contract. 

273339c1
Community Member

lierally just ran into them 10 hours ago was working on those " 4 projetcs" but something was off after accepting they sent  me alink to telgram and removed the job on the proposal list..lucky i ran into thiss post

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths