🐈
» Forums » Agencies » How to change my status from freelancer to co...
Page options
cd8dc850
Community Member

How to change my status from freelancer to company

Hi there,
I recently registered my company at BC and I got my federal business number! I want to work on projects as a company with my business number! How can I change my settings from freelancer to company on Upwork?
thank you!

Best,
Paras

19 REPLIES 19
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Parastou,

Although your profile itself needs to be in your name, you can include your company name in your profile and in your settings (under "Tax Information"), and use your company’s tax ID, as well.  If your "business name" is different from your personal name in your account information, then your business name also appears on your invoices to your clients. 

You could also create an agency in your company’s name if you wanted to. We’ve created a guide to agencies to help you decide if an agency is right for you. You can also check out this help article to learn more about agencies. To create an agency account on your existing account, please follow up instructions in this help article.

Feel free to reach back to us if you need any further assistance.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

I have created an agency account but still, but I am still applying for many jobs from a freelancer account, I want any new project from any account also all the ongoing Project invoices will be generated through my agency name only for TAX invoices I want all the invoice from the agency name only so how it works?  also if I change the details in the TAX information it changes, what is the birth date if we Change the name? 

Please help me as the turning agency now needs all the Invoices in the name of my agency..!

7037a4a8
Community Member

Hi Bojan,

I have a similar question - I have a freelancer account and I need to change the name displayed on the invoices. Instead of showing my name I want the invoices to show my company's name. 

In the Tax information I can change the address , the VAT and the legal tax payer.

Should I put my company's name in the legal tax payer tab?

Thank you in advance!

Hi Diyana,

I would like to confirm that as Bojan already shared, you can include your company name in your profile and in your settings (under "Tax Information"), and use your company’s tax ID, as well.  If your "business name" is different from your personal name in your account information, then your business name also appears on your invoices to your clients. 

~ Nikola
Upwork
7a31826a
Community Member

Hello Parastou!
Could you share the way you changed status?
1) Add company name to your profile? If this option is selected where did you specify company name? There are only First name, Second name fields.

2) Create Agency account?  

Hi Vadim,

Thank you for your message. If you are looking to create an agency, you will need to click the 'Create Agency account' button on the Settings page. 

If you would like to create a new Company, please click the 'Create Company account' button on the Settings page. You will have the option to add the company name on the next page.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork

Hi Pradeep!

Thank you for the fast reply. Due to my local rules I need to create a complany for correct tax paying however I still will be working as a single freelancer without any other freelancers. So the thing I want to change is only the name in the invoices (from individual to company).

I found a solution somewhere in the community: change Tax payer indentification + Tax identification number. Would it be correct for me?

Hi Vadim,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Yes, you may change the information first by switching from your freelancer profile to your agency profile and then by going to Settings > Tax Information. Kindly keep in mind that the changes will reflect in future invoices and it is not retroactive so it will not show on past invoices.

~ AJ
Upwork

Hi Annie Jane!

So there are two steps
1) Switch Profile from freelancer to agency

2) Change Tax Information

Is 1 step obligatory? I do not want to change worflow on Upwork but change invoice data only.

Hi Vadim,

If the details you need to update are on your agency account, then yes, you need to switch to your agency profile to make the changes required. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
7a31826a
Community Member

Hi Joanne Marie!

I haven't created agency account, even I do not want to do it. So my question is:

Would it be correct if I change only tax information from individual to company without creating agency account?  

Hi Vadim,

Yes, you can change the Tax information from individual to company and include your company's tax information on the Tax Information page.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork

Hi Pradeep!

Thank you. I approve that changing Tax Information works fine!

But have another one question

Is there an option to add my TIN number to invoices?

Right now invoice contains only my name, business name and address.

Hi Vadim,

Thank you for reaching out to us. It is by design that TIN number is not included in your invoices. But I suggest doing it like how European freelancers and clients prefer doing it:

• Please go to Settings > Tax Information
  • Update your address that appears on invoices
  • Add your TIN on the 2nd line of your address (below your street address)

I hope this helps!

~ AJ
Upwork

I have created an agency account but still, but I am still applying for many jobs from a freelancer account, I want any new project from any account also all the ongoing Project invoices will be generated through my agency name only for TAX invoices I want all the invoice from the agency name only so how it works?  also if I change the details in the TAX information it changes, what is the birth date if we Change the name? 

Please help me as the turning agency now needs all the Invoices in the name of my agency..!

Hi Pradeep,
I was been associated with my agency but few days back I've removed myself from that agency member list how can I re-associate with that same agency?

monedmond
Community Member

Hello there,
I have a similar question:
I have a personal freelancer account. I created an agency recently, they provided me with an EIN. Now, I don't want to do business as my name anymore. 

Can I just change my name on my personal account to my agency name and replace my SSN with my agency's EIN?

Hi Pierre Markens,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Firstly, you need to use the account menu at the top-right of your screen to switch between using Upwork as a client, freelancer, or agency. After switching to your agency profile, you can proceed to changing the Tax Information by going to Settings > Tax Information. The changes made on your agency will reflect in future invoices.

~ Arjay
Upwork
37acc0a1
Community Member

It will be so nice to work with an agency.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths