cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are here for you- COVID-19 Update

Highlighted
Diana K Member Since: Mar 15, 2017
51 of 165

I agree. I've always felt the 20% job fee is too high, especially when compared to Guru. And it would be nice to see the hold period reduced. 

Highlighted
Kellen N Member Since: Apr 26, 2016
52 of 165
Cut down the pending period for approved funds. This has always seemed weird to me; I thought Client approval for the funds to be released means the funds are ready and they are okay with the work done. Why the long hold up period??
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Wayne G Member Since: Mar 14, 2018
53 of 165

Kellen N wrote:
Why the long hold up period??

Likely becuase Upwork earns interest on that money while it sits there. when you're talking millions of dollars. 5 days of interest adds up.

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
54 of 165

Hi Wayne,

I can confirm that there is no interest earned on money held during the security period. That hold is in place for security reasons. That said, we have established an internal task force that is working on how we might shorten the security period. 

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
55 of 165
Have there been any discussions on reducing the job fee or providing
free/additional connects?
Highlighted
Joanne Marie P Moderator Member Since: Nov 26, 2017
56 of 165

Hi Diana,

Thanks for the question. The safety and well-being of the Upwork community is our number one priority. At the moment, we aren't aware of any plans to make changes to Connects or offer free ones. We'll continue to monitor developments with COVID-19 closely and certainly notify our users if there are any changes.

-Joanne
Untitled
Highlighted
57 of 165
You emphasize the community's safety and wellbeing. How does this translate
to the community's ability to make a living? Can you provide some hard
reasoning why the job fee can't be reduced even to 15%? You can grant
freelancers even five extra connects?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
58 of 165

Diana K wrote:
You emphasize the community's safety and wellbeing. How does this translate
to the community's ability to make a living? Can you provide some hard
reasoning why the job fee can't be reduced even to 15%? You can grant
freelancers even five extra connects?

The fees pay for advertising. I'd rather them kick everyone who doesn't understand the cost of advertising. I don't want to see Upwork go broke. They need to keep the fees the same and focus on bringing in clients. I make $$$$ from them and live very nicely because of my fees and their advertising. It's win-win for both of us.

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
59 of 165

Hi Diana and others,

We don’t plan to adjust fees. Upwork fees help to cover the costs of acquiring new clients and providing services like payment protection, customer support, and platform infrastructure. We'll continue to monitor developments with COVID-19 closely and notify our customers if there are any changes.

Thank you!

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Abinadab A Member Since: Sep 26, 2016
60 of 165

Ali H wrote:

Release the Fund Early, when the Client Approves them, there is no need to keep them under review for 5 days, and Lower the fee from 20% to 10% overall 

Yes! Makes a lot of sense.

Even Soundcloud reduced fees by half in the name of COVID-19. Many other businesses. The desperation to scrape in anything is real. The recession is real.

Upwork, do something now! Beg us to stay by reducing your service fees or else...

And no, don't delude thyself, o Upwork, into thinking you can hide under the cloak of giving us a one-time bash of free connects, all in the name of COVID-19.

Free connects would be neither needed nor helpful - it doesn't help the problem of spam.

Bring down the service fee! Now!

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS