🐈
» Forums » Clients » Can I get a refund?
Page options
c436437c
Community Member

Can I get a refund?

Hi I have have a project that is currently over budget and overtime and still the freelancer has not delivered a functional solution. I believe that they underquoted to win the project without properly understanding the requirements. I have agreed to pay milestones on the promise that we would come back and fix issues later. I have also funded new milestones that were not part of the original contract to cover the extra work they have had to do. They now want to end the contract without delivering the final working system. They have said that I should find another freelancer to complete the project. We are months over time and also budget! Can I get a refund?
4 REPLIES 4
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Tim,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with this freelancer. I've escalated your request to our executive escalations team. They will reach out to you directly to assist you.

Thanks so much for your patience.

~ Bojan
Upwork
prestonhunter
Community Member

Tim, I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed in your experience hiring on Upwork.

I think the most important thing for you to understand is that it is not Upwork's intention that clients receive refunds. When a refund happens, it means that Upwork's intended way of using their tools has failed.

You may or may not be able to get some sort of refund. Perhaps a partial refund. 

For context, how much money in total have you paid to this particular freelancer?

$2170 paid to date.
$875 in escrow to be paid.

Using best practices, the most that a client can expect to lose is about $100.

You have paid money for work that has already been done.

As far as you understand, is the work that has been done so far highly modular, such that you can do as this freelancer advises, and have other team members continue working on it until competition?

What does your project manager have to say?

Latest Articles
Learning Paths