🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: Canadian Clients having issue with enteri...
Page options
e70858ee
Community Member

Canadian Clients having issue with entering GST number

Anyone having issues with getting their GST number verified? How do I contact Customer Service?

"A GST/HST account number is part of a business number (BN). "

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/businesses/topics/gst-hst-businesses/account-re...

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
745885f3
Community Member

Hi Jonathan!

You should stop opening support tickets at first sight for this kind of issue.  Read my story below and advise the member to verify the following:

I also had struggles registering my GST/QST numbers on Upwork when I enrolled.

Most of the time, this issue happens when there is a discrepancy between the member' official name (for the canadian government) and the name the member used to register on Upwork.  As the Tax ID verification is related to Gvmt taxes, the member' name/fist name(s) must match 100%

EXAMPLES:

It can be as simple as a "-" between the two first names (such as Marie-Louise instead of Marie Louise)

In my specific case, my official full name (under which my tax registration was done) was "Helene-Renee Minville".  However, I was trying to have my tax ID verified in Upwork using  "Helene Minville".  Therefore, it was impossible to confirm a perfect match, resulting in the rejection of the verification.  I was able to solve that issue with contacting Services Canada (federal gvmt) where an agent was able to fix it.  

View solution in original post

111 REPLIES 111

Hi Hussam,

I've escalated your concern to the team. One of our agents will reach out and assist you directly via a support ticket.

~ Joanne
Upwork
745885f3
Community Member

Hi Jonathan!

You should stop opening support tickets at first sight for this kind of issue.  Read my story below and advise the member to verify the following:

I also had struggles registering my GST/QST numbers on Upwork when I enrolled.

Most of the time, this issue happens when there is a discrepancy between the member' official name (for the canadian government) and the name the member used to register on Upwork.  As the Tax ID verification is related to Gvmt taxes, the member' name/fist name(s) must match 100%

EXAMPLES:

It can be as simple as a "-" between the two first names (such as Marie-Louise instead of Marie Louise)

In my specific case, my official full name (under which my tax registration was done) was "Helene-Renee Minville".  However, I was trying to have my tax ID verified in Upwork using  "Helene Minville".  Therefore, it was impossible to confirm a perfect match, resulting in the rejection of the verification.  I was able to solve that issue with contacting Services Canada (federal gvmt) where an agent was able to fix it.  

What worked for you won't work for others, that are not interested in changing a business name that is not supposed to be equivalent to their legal name.

08ac64a6
Community Member

Hi, I'm also facing the same issue here "GST/HST Number could not be verified. Please remove and re-add your number to update."

Hello Alex,

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with this. We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist. 

~ Luiggi
Upwork
4f8aa8c7
Community Member

Hi, I'm also facing the same issue here "GST/HST Number could not be verified. Please remove and re-add your number to update." Tried twice already.

Hi Roman,

I’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Nikola
Upwork
2037635d
Community Member

Hello Upwork, I am experiencing the same issue - I am unable to get Upwork to approve my valid GST number. Can you please open a ticket to help process my GST number manually.

-Peter

Hi Peter,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will be reaching out to you on this page with further assistance on how to enter your GST into your account.

~ Arjay
Upwork
e77e78c2
Community Member

Hello Upwork team,

I am having the same issue with entering my GST/HST number. Would appreciate your help.

thanks

Hi Nayereh,

Thank you for reaching out. I can see that you've already raised a support ticket regarding your concern. You can access your support tickets here . Note that support requests are responded to in the order they are received. Kindly allow 24-48 hours for the team to follow up with you and assist you further.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork
74a75b55
Community Member

If you're a Canadian client experiencing difficulties with entering or verifying your GST number, you may encounter a few challenges. However, there are steps you can take to resolve the issue and contact Customer Service for assistance.

1. Verify the GST Number: Firstly, ensure that you have entered your GST number correctly. It is a nine-digit number that is issued by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) as part of your Business Number (BN). Double-check the number you are inputting to confirm its accuracy.

2. Eligibility for GST Registration: Confirm whether you meet the requirements for registering a GST number. In most cases, businesses that generate more than $30,000 in annual revenue are obligated to register for the Goods and Services Tax (GST) or Harmonized Sales Tax (HST).

3. Reach out to Customer Service: If you are still facing issues with your GST number, the best course of action is to contact Customer Service for assistance. The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) has dedicated helplines and services to help resolve GST-related queries.

• Business Enquiries Line: You can contact the CRA's Business Enquiries line at 1-800-959-5525 for assistance regarding your GST number. They will be able to provide guidance and support to address any verification issues.

• Online Support: Alternatively, you can visit the CRA's official website and explore their online resources. They offer various tools and resources to help businesses manage their GST accounts and resolve common issues.

Remember, reaching out to the appropriate Customer Service channels will allow you to receive personalized guidance based on your specific situation. They will help you navigate the verification process and ensure that your GST number is correctly entered and verified.

rab_1250
Community Member

Hello Team,

I am also facing the same issue while entering my GST/HST number.  

Thanks

Hi Ruchika,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will be reaching out to you here with further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork
lidias77
Community Member

All Canadians are probably having a problem with their GST number being verified. As far as I can tell the cause for this is the specific tool that the Upwork team is using to verify the number. I opened a support ticket for this same issue and was sent a screenshot of the CRA's GST/HST Registry tool that the team seems to be using to verify the GST number. This tool requires a "Transaction date" as well. This date needs to be a date that appears on an actual invoice. However, it seems like when trying to verify the GST number the team member simply inputs today's date. This will probably never show up as valid, because nobody would have registered an invoice/paid taxes on today's date. I used this tool myself and when entering an actual invoice date in the past then the number shows up as valid. Upwork needs to specifically ask for a valid invoice date as well. It seems like the issue has been escalated so hopefully they will fix it soon.

65be1d9a
Community Member

Hi, I have the same issue with getting my GST/HST number verified. Can someone help?

Hi Ziqin,

Thank you for your message. I checked your account and I see that you have already added your GST/HST number. 

- Pradeep

Upwork

Hi, you can see in my account I got this message “ StatusGST or HST number could not be verified. Please remove and re-add your number to update.” I’ve tried remove and add a couple times and every time it’s the same error message.

Hi Ziqin,

I've escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
61fb2383
Community Member

Hello Upwork Team,

I'm having a similar and issue and the system is not accepting my GST / HST#. I keep getting status 

GST or HST number could not be verified. Please remove and re-add your number to update.

Can you help please.

Thanks

61fb2383
Community Member

Hello Upwork Team,

I'm having a similar and issue and the system is not accepting my GST / HST#. I keep getting status 

GST or HST number could not be verified. Please remove and re-add your number to update.

Can you help please.

Thanks

ee7522ef
Community Member

hello sir i ma help you work

61fb2383
Community Member

I am ready to get help. how do I get my GST / HST # verified from upwork?

Hi Shalin,

I’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon on this page to assist further with your GST/HST verification.

~ Arjay
Upwork
devalp145
Community Member

Hello Upwork Team,

Can you help please?

Thanks

Hi Deval,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. I'm sorry if you're having difficulties getting your GST/HST verified. Rest assured that one of our agents will be reaching out to you here with further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork

hello
Community Member

I'm experiencing the same issue. I'm entering a valid HST number but it's unable to be verified. Hoping to find a solution.

orichalbaud
Community Member

hi! I'm having the same issue with "GST or HST number could not be verified"
Can anyone help me please?:)

Hi Oriana,

I've escalated your concern to the team. One of our agents will reach out and assist you directly via a support ticket.

~ Joanne
Upwork
d227e646
Community Member

I am also having this issue... 'We were unable to verify the tax ID number(s) you submitted. Please double-check your tax ID number(s), and then re-submit by clicking here.'

Hi Lisa,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will be reaching out to you on this page with more information and further assistance with your GST approval concerns.

~ Arjay
Upwork
Latest Articles
Learning Paths