🐈
» Forums » Clients » Cilent threatening me that he will dispute or...
Page options
jayawardhane-sup
Community Member

Cilent threatening me that he will dispute order if don't work for him out of the scope

Hi

Recently i have delivered a work for a client by milestone to milestone. After completing the work and ending the contract by adding reviews, He sent me a different dwg file to make corrections. It was not in my scope but he threaten me that he would place a dispute on the recent project. 
What should i do?

8 REPLIES 8
kirnazdogan
Community Member

Report him and go on.

lysis10
Community Member

Telling a freelancer you will dispute isn't against the rules. If you did the work, tell him to do whatever he thinks is best. Just be aware that if you don't have $291 for arbitration, you're probably stuck with whatever he offers you or you will lose. 

So, it means i'm out of options

You are not out of options.

You said the contract has already been closed, right?

That limits what the client can do. He can not change his feedback.

If he is asking you to do more work, then you can ask him questions about what he wants done. If he is willing to set up a contract for the work, at the rate you specify, would you be willing to do the additional work, under a new contract?

Yeah. But He is not asking for a new contract. He is asking me for additional work without a contract.

You can still ask him about the work that he wants you do it. It won't hurt to ask.

Act professionally. Listen to concerns. Don't tell him that you will never work for him again.

The more you act like a professional and assume that he will too, the more likely he will be to act professionally as well.

Most people tend to live up to noble expectations.

If the client is treated well and feels respected, he is less likely to lie to Upwork and try to file a fraudulent dispute claim against you.

And the longer it has been since the contract was closed, the less likely he will be to file a fraudulent dispute claim. Eventually, the client loses the ability to file a dispute at all. After 30 days, he can't file a dispute,

Maybe, if it is clear that you know how to do the project he wants done, he will be eager to create a new contract to hire you to do the work. You can then say no, or accept his offer. But you are in control, not him.

Regardless of what happens, you should never let bad client bully you into working for free.

Even if the client DID file a dispute... keep in mind that you didn't do anything wrong, if a client asks a freelancer to work for free, it is the client who is violating Upwork TOS.

Supun J wrote:

Yeah. But He is not asking for a new contract. He is asking me for additional work without a contract.

So he hasn't disputed? Well you're getting ahead of yourself then. Worry about a dispute only if it actually happens. You should decide if what he is asking is reasonable and if you should fix whatever. If you feel that you provided everything to spec, then just say "meh no" and move on with your life. If they dispute, then you worry about that when it happens.

Supun J wrote:

Did he actually say that? he paid you the first time, which scammers rarely do. Many users (clients and freelancers alike) are simply unaware of how the site works. Some clients believe a freelancer is not allowed to refuse work (which is not true although it may explain the threat to dispute) but they don't necessarily expect you to do it for free.

Try and create the contract yourself with all details including price and see what happens.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths