🐈
» Forums » Clients » Client Asking to Communicate Off Upwork
Page options
c84d9e65
Community Member

Client Asking to Communicate Off Upwork

Hello,

I received an email from a client stating they were from "**Edited for Community Guidelines** and requesting me to email them directly so they can send me a "written interview." I know direct communication off Upwork is not allowed, so I have not responded just yet and wanted to confirm with the community. 

I am a bit concerned to communicate with this particular client as I have done some research and came across Reddit articles that this has been a scam with this company and it is not legitimate. The poster has only been a member for a few days as well so that is also a red flag (I just noticed this after I received their message and was double checking the post). 

This is the job posting:**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Please let me know if this is legitimate or I should report this client.

Thank you!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
spectralua
Community Member

This is not **Edited for Community Guidelines**, name is random.

No investigation required. Report it and move forward. Anytime if someone ask you for outside conversation without contract.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
spectralua
Community Member

This is not **Edited for Community Guidelines**, name is random.

No investigation required. Report it and move forward. Anytime if someone ask you for outside conversation without contract.

I am glad I did some research and asked before moving forward with the client's request. Thank you so much for the reply. Your help saved me from what I could foresee as a very uneasy and long process. 

No "research" is required. Read and follow the Terms of Service.

Thanks for this very helpful to all.

agreed

shellaaaron
Community Member

Upwork has rules in place to keep freelancers and clients safe, so communicating outside the platform can put you at risk of fraud or other issues.

It seems that there may be some issues with this client, especially since they're asking to communicate directly, and they've only been a member a few days.

Taking action can be taken by Upwork's customer support team. You can also review Upwork's policies on communication and fraud prevention.

isabeli
Community Member

I think this is a scam. If I were you I report the client and move on.  If oyu aren't sure, maybe you should contact Upwork and ask them. 

Good luck with another clients. 

Before you get scammed, read the Terms of Service. Working with someone outside of Upwork before a contract is in place can permanently cost you your Upwork account. Upwork has enough to do without Support being told 90% and above are scams. Flag and move on.

50de0d89
Community Member

You should report the client and move on. Recently, a client requested me to work outside upwork.

c84d9e65
Community Member

Thanks for the replies everyone! I reported the client already to UpWork.

That's great, hope you will get a better client next time.

weltreligion
Community Member

I'm glad you do ask of suggestions before proceeding with such idea of moving a project out of Upwork.  As moving a project outside of Upwork is a bridge of agreement which might also affects you when trying to get paid by the client as the client might denied the job done by you since the work was not concluded through Upwork.  

Kristen P wrote:

Hello,

I received an email from a client stating they were from "**Edited for Community Guidelines** and requesting me to email them directly so they can send me a "written interview." I know direct communication off Upwork is not allowed, so I have not responded just yet and wanted to confirm with the community. 

I am a bit concerned to communicate with this particular client as I have done some research and came across Reddit articles that this has been a scam with this company and it is not legitimate. The poster has only been a member for a few days as well so that is also a red flag (I just noticed this after I received their message and was double checking the post). 

This is the job posting:**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Please let me know if this is legitimate or I should report this client.

Thank you!

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths