🐈
» Forums » Clients » Client using my work without paying for it
Page options
f655403a
Community Member

Client using my work without paying for it

Hi! I am a top-rated video editor on Upwork and have been freelancing for two years. A client asked for a trial video, which I made. They loved it, and wanted to use it, but didn't want to pay what I asked for (which was a very fair amount). They wanted to pay a ridiculously less amount of money, to which I didn't agree.
Now, the client is using my work for free even when it was agreed they won't be using it unless they pay for it. Can someone from Upwork help me with this? I want them to not use the video since they haven't paid for it. And if they want to use it, they should pay for it!

Regards,
A. Basit

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
williamtcooper
Community Member

Abdul,

Free trial work is well FREE work. Never, never, never do FREE work. The client should have been directed to your Upwork Portfolio which should be designed to showcase your work. It looks like you were scammed. Click the Academy link on the top of this page for how to successfully use Upwork. Have a great day!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
williamtcooper
Community Member

Abdul,

Free trial work is well FREE work. Never, never, never do FREE work. The client should have been directed to your Upwork Portfolio which should be designed to showcase your work. It looks like you were scammed. Click the Academy link on the top of this page for how to successfully use Upwork. Have a great day!

Thanks, William! Yeah, I should have been careful. I'll keep it in mind next time.

yofazza
Community Member

Client break Upwork's ToS by asking for free work, you don't

Client own copyright of a work if they pay, otherwise they don't have copyright meaning you can do anything with that work or even reporting it to DMCA.

I do free work at times. Things that are simple for me but enough for a prospective clients to decide if they want to continue with me or not. I know the risks of course.

Can someone from Upwork help me with this?

I don't think so.

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Can someone from Upwork help me with this?"

No.

But you may ask additional questions in the Forum of you still wonder about any part of this.

deborah-ponzio
Community Member

Looks like this client has violated Upwork's TOS, report him/her, to avoid scamming of other people

Latest Articles
Learning Paths