🐈
» Forums » Clients » Freelance add the work to his portfolio which...
Page options
sharmin_lisa
Community Member

Freelance add the work to his portfolio which is actually my work.

I hired an Upwork person for production design a couple of years ago who has now taken screenshots of my website, and has it on her portfolio, saying that it is her work and that she was the one who did my brand. Understandably, I have a rather intense emotional response to this as it is outright theft, completely untrue, and in no way acceptable to steal my design and proclaim them as her own. Aside from that, it is 100% copyright infringement, and it is illegal. My question relates to Upwork; what protections do I have as an employer on Upwork? Perhaps there are rules and regulations that Upwork workers need to follow.

The one thing that is unusual is that she literally had nothing to do with this - I created this design last summer and the short time I worked with her was nearly 2 years prior.

Can someone help me with what steps I should take for this matter?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
NikolaS

Hi Sharmin,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I would like to let you know that you can flag portfolio items directly using the reports option. Choose Report on the portfolio item. You can find more information here. Additionally, I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will follow up with you directly via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your ticket on this page.

~ Nikola
Upwork

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
NikolaS

Hi Sharmin,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I would like to let you know that you can flag portfolio items directly using the reports option. Choose Report on the portfolio item. You can find more information here. Additionally, I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will follow up with you directly via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your ticket on this page.

~ Nikola
Upwork
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

I've experienced the same thing, and Upwork takes forever to respond and won't do anything about the dishonest freelancer except maybe ask them to remove the item. I would suggest that you do a DMCA takedown notice instead, and message the freelancer telling them that you're going to report them. 

Community Member

I would also be concerned about why somebody whose last interaction with you was more than a year old is stalking your online presence.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths