🐈
» Forums » Clients » Freelancer Keeps Postponing to Accept the Job...
Page options
nataros_tina
Community Member

Freelancer Keeps Postponing to Accept the Job Offer

I discussed all the project details and requirements with a freelancer yesterday, and he accepted the work. Since he's top-rated and has many positive reviews, plus I liked the samples, I sent a job offer immediately, and we agreed on the deadline.

The freelancer said he started working on the project but hasn't accepted my offer. I reminded him to confirm the offer today because it would expire before the deadline.

He said he would keep it in mind and still didn't accept. Now I'm conflicted about whether he took the job seriously, and as someone who's also a freelancer, I don't like anyone working without an active contract.

Should I insist he accepts, wait it out, or find another freelancer? Maybe I'm overthinking it?

4 REPLIES 4
prestonhunter
Community Member

You are not applying best practices.

You are not putting your needs and the needs of the project first.

If you have a deadline, then you should be simultaneously offering the job to multiple freelancers, and hiring multiple freelancers.

NEVER hire only one unfamiliar, unproven freelancer if you have a deadline. That is a recipe for disaster.

I have hired over 180 freelancers on Upwork. When I have a tight deadline, I hire between four to eight freelancers. Using hourly contracts of course. Those who work get paid. Those who don't work don't get paid. I always get the work I need done completed on time.

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Should I insist he accepts, wait it out, or find another freelancer? Maybe I'm overthinking it?"

You should immediately withdraw the offer and immediately block communications with him. This person is probably very good at what he does. But he is NOT ON YOUR TEAM and you are absolutely wasting your time waiting for him or thinking about him.

Thanks for replying, Preston.
You're probably right. I don't have as much experience as a client and always give freelancers the benefit of the doubt.

But since this doesn't feel right, I believe I will withdraw the offer today.

Hiring multiple freelancers at the same time for the same job is an interesting idea and can help if the deadline is very critical. Also, having a contract in place is needed before work starts. The freelancer may not be sure if they can achieve the project goal under the aggreed conditions. So he/she may be trying to better understand before they can commit to the contract and may be trying to avoid a case where they get into the contract only to figure out they can't achieve it.

In any case i believe open communication is key. You can directly say something like "i don't feel comfortable starting work before you accept my contract. Would you like to share if there's anything you're concerned about it?"

I hope this helps,

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths