🐈
» Forums » Clients » Freelancer Not Accepting Payment
Page options
0d3a1845
Community Member

Freelancer Not Accepting Payment

So the story is simple, I hired a freelancer to build a Shopify site for me, it was a fixed rate contract at a 4 figure price point with 8 days of delivery. They started the work and as the progress was coming together I noticed that they were using the weirdest way to build a site, for example instead of setting the colors for the background in CSS code they exported the section background from Figma and applied it to the site background.

The site looked awful and I even had to go in and edit some of the work myself. They said it was just as a placeholder and I need to make it responsive first and all will be edited later on, the deadline reached and the site still looks like a piece of garbage. I logged in to UpWork and I noticed they did not even accept the original offer that was sent to them and was left to expire, knowing it may have been an oversight I was ready to honor the agreement if I had a site that looked like the design, so we had a call and the conversation got heated of how ugly it looks and why are they using gradient background images for the site background instead of code, they were uploading everything as an image and calling it code.

I canceled their credentials and picked on the work by myself and another freelancer from UpWork who helped clear all off as I worked the front end, and they did the back end. Then jumped on a call with them and affirmed my dissatisfaction with the quality of work and the 4 digits payment is not going to be released to them, they will only get paid for setting the initial infrastructure, they agreed and I moved forward sending a fixed rate contract of the revised price which we agreed on during the call, they left it to expire and then reached out again saying they want the full amount, and now they are messaging my clients on social media about the website, they have an NDA signed already which prohibits them to speak about it.

What is the best way to navigate this issue through UpWork?

4 REPLIES 4
spectralua
Community Member

You cannot. Freelancer didnt accepted offer so you have no contract, no jobscope, no feedback ability - nothing.

At this moment no Upwork deal running.

Also you broke Upwork ToS with outside conversation (incl NDA management) without contract. You and FL as well. Both may be banned for that.

For now FL must accept offer then you can pay. It will cover rules violation you did already. About amount is your choice and agreement with FL.

The only thing communicated with the freelancer outside of UpWork is to send them the DocuSign for the NDA, everything was still inside the UpWork chat

It is dont matter. Outside communication not allowed, free works not allowed, works wthout contract not allowed.

You reached FL via Upwork then working without contract. Ouside agreement and payment possible? Yes. Upwork bots won't investigate, just ban you and thats all. Be careful with such things. Noone will discuss after, banned clients\freelancers fully ignored with no chances to explain.

Look around forum where banned users trying to reach support. Noone succeed.

yofazza
Community Member

NDAs are okay before contract.

Based on the description, it's not the client's fault that the work progresses without a contract being signed.

But it's true that there's nothing can be done.

I'd say you're lucky though. There are many stories here about clients spending thousands of dollars on freelancers who do what was described. They all have problems in trying to get their money back. 

You should separate the project into small milestones. Make sure each phase is correct before proceeding to the next. Or do an hourly contract and limit the hours to see how the freelancer work, until you really can trust them. Or hire a project manager if you're unfamiliar with the technical aspec of the job.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths